Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

latter testing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2014, 07:37 AM
Gold Member

latter testing.

I have read a bunch of articles on latter testing and wanted to try it on a new rifle. I still need a little bit more help understanding it, so if yall could be so kind to help walk me through it. So here it goes.
Rifle: winchester heavy varmint 243
Bullet: 87gr V-MAX
Powder: H4895
100 yards.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
latter testing.-20140726_071552.jpg  
Old 07-26-2014, 10:56 AM
Bronze Member

Re: latter testing.

I have a tc contender 375 jdj 23". I made up single round per powder charge 45.0 up to 49.5 ( not exactly sure don't have logs with me but) with 1/2 gr increments. this was for pressure testing my powder weight's, bullet, primer combo. I also noted where each shot landed. I think it was powder charges 48.0 and 48.5 that stacked on top of each other while the others were roaming around the target. I then loaded 48.0 gr loads and went to zero. showed promise for fire forming new cases.
not sure how others do it but this method worked for me with the 375 jdj.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:18 AM
Gold Member

Here's the 2nd. Round of the test.( Bottom three targets.) I thought that the good load was between 31.4 and 34..but I think I'm wrong..but on the 2nd run 33 and 33.5 are promising .
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
latter testing.-20140726_105952.jpg  
Old 07-26-2014, 11:54 AM
Platinum Member

I'd say that top left corner's about got it. The vertical is almost perfectly even, but the left and right could have been human error.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:08 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I'd say that top left corner's about got it. The vertical is almost perfectly even, but the left and right could have been human error.
So you thank it could be in the middle of those three charges? What about the 33 and 33.5?
Old 07-26-2014, 12:10 PM
Bronze Member

if it was human error, id say you have something there.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

Whatever that top left corner is (2nd picture), I'd load up 3 more to see if the left and right were just human error. If it shoots that flat again, but left and right seem to be out of whack, adjust your bullet seating depth, or bed your lug and action on your rifle. If it's already been properly bedded, then tinker with seating depth.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.