Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Lapua short mag brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Silver Member

Lapua short mag brass

I sent an email to Lapua pretty much begging them to start making 7mm WSM brass. Today they emailed me back and said they have been getting a bunch of requests but they were mostly for 7mm RSAUM and they haven't made a decision yet. Why do you think the RSAUM has that many more requests than the 7mm WSM? Is it any better?
Old 11-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Lapua short mag brass

This article might answer your questions:
7mm Cartridge Guide

The only thing I can think of is that many consider the WSM a little too much capacity/too short of barrel life. The SAUM is a bit smaller, and Norma offers the brass.
Not that there is anything wrong with WSM or SAUM, but I can't picture either being a big seller for Lapua compared to their current offerings.
And they can't make brass for everybody, and every fly-by-night cartridge.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:28 AM
Platinum Member

7mm bullets are popular in some shooting sports.

I'm a little surprised that they don't make brass for any of the 7mm's as best I can tell.

If they do start producing for the SAUM, it'll definitely move up a notch or two on my wish list.

Then again, my purchases aren't going to get them terribly excited.

-- richard
Old 11-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Platinum Member

HoytFlinger,

Simple; because the RSAUM is the round that most of the competitive shooters seem to have gravitated towards. For both the F-Class and LR teams, they standardized on this cartridge during the recent world shoot to make wind calls a bit easier for the coaches (that is, not having to dope wind for two shooters firing distinctly different gun/bullet combinations) during the string. Can't tell you exactly why they went to the SAUM over the WSM, but for the 7mm version, that's the round that got the nod. From what I'd heard, this wasn't the US teams idea, but that we'd got it from the Brits. The apparently used this combination last year and have been doing very well with it in competition. Anyway, that's where things are headed right now.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:54 PM

Kevin,

What are the chances of Lapua making 300 RUM brass.

Thanks Ron
Old 11-10-2011, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member

Ron,

Sorry, but I'd have to say pretty slim right now. It'd be a new draw for us from the ground up, as we don't have any other cases that utilize this head size. Right now, as I'd mentioned previously, we're taking a lot more requests for the 7mm SAUM. If, and that means "IF", we go this route, I suspect that would be the first one we'd make. Be happy to keep you posted as I hear more.

In the meantime, anyone who's going to the SHOT show, stop on by! The Finns will be here, and you can talk with them directly about new cartridge suggestions. And yes, they really do pay attention to US market requests.

See you there?
Old 11-10-2011, 11:21 PM

Here is another request for the 7WSM

Thanks
Bill