Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

lapua brass prep

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Silver Member

lapua brass prep

Do I need to uniform primer pockets, flash hole deburr, and neck turn lapua brass??

I know it will probably be minimal but I don't mind doing case prep if it will help.

thanks in advance!
Old 02-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Silver Member

Re: lapua brass prep

Nope.

Make sure the neck is round, and then chamfer. Trim to uniform length after firing. Re-chamfer as needed.

Neck turning is performed to fit the case neck to a custom chamber. You can check for variance in case neck thickness if you wish using a ball mic. Simply cull any really bad cases, if you find any.

Uniforming the primer pocket assures 100% reliability by providing a flat seating surface for the primer's anvil. There is no influence on accuracy.

Benchresters will tell that flash hole de-burring has a huge influence on their accuracy. Will your gun realize it? Prepping that area started as a means for removing large flash from around the hole that would obstruct flame propagation. Lapua brass doesn't have any flash of that proportion. If you have the tool, you can A/B some cases and decide for yourself what benefit is to be realized. I use a large twist drill (by hand) on my non-premium brass to knock off any burrs.

Just using the premium brass averts many ills.

Last edited by Winchester 69; 02-23-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester 69 View Post
Neck turning is performed to fit the case neck to a custom chamber. You can check for variance in case neck thickness if you wish using a ball mic.
This is the best thing you can do for this brass.
For thickness variance, depending on cartridge & lot, I have seen Lapua worse than other brands.
The best I've seen, believe it or not, is Winchester's reloading 25WSSM brass.
The worst I've seen, was Lazeroni scramjet, Tubb 6XC, one very ugly Norma 223 case, and a single lot of Lapua 6br brass. But other lot's I use are very good.
I don't assume anything with brass.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

I still like to uniform primer pockets on Lapua brass. It helps me seat the primers more uniformly by feel - compared to non-uniformed primer pockets.

I have trouble telling when I've bottomed out on the non-uniformed Lapua primer pockets.

Last edited by phorwath; 02-23-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:28 PM
Silver Member

The necks I've measured vary from .0135" to .0152" or so. Most measure between .014 to .015". I was thinking about maybe just cleaning up the necks to .014 to .0145".

Do you think it's even worth the trouble?? I guess only one way to find out...

What would be considered worth turning the necks? how much variance in thickness?
Old 02-23-2010, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

It's a tough question Frog..
What cartridge?
What use?
What kind of chamber?
Do you have the resources to pickup alot of brass?
How important to you is really straight ammo?

I ask because a 1/2moa potential hunting gun from a SAAMI chamber, with factory dies, might not reward turning/culling efforts compared to other areas of focus. Especially if your bogged down with many guns to reload for.
Afterall, you hesitate to take on this turning load,, to go for pure perfection, for it's sake.
And that flags me that you don't want to 'waste' any efforts.

Will cleaning up the necks directly improve the gun's performance?
No.
Turning is done to produce lower tension -consistantly, and to reduce runout. This can reduce ES, and eek out possibly 1/10th better short range grouping. Maybe 1/4 better LR grouping.
It will do nothing for accuracy, without diligent combinations that benefit from it(like a camshaft in an engine).

But if this gun is your main project,, your immediate passion,, hell yea make perfect ammo and get the most from it..
Old 02-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Silver Member

It's a .30-06 built for precision and long range out to 1000m/ I know odd cartridge, but it will give me a longer barrel life than some of the bigger magnums...and yes, right now it is my main project..

in anycase with win brass fully prepped, I can get 1/2moa with quite a few sub 1/4moa groups...but I still get flyers in a 10 shot string...most likely shooter error, but I want to minimize all the variables.

the win brass i had to turn the necks down to .012" but they were thinner necks to begin with...the lapua is thicker and they were more consistant to begin with...

I definitely want the straightest ammo possible with out damaging the brass quality if that makes sense. That being said, is it more beneficial to "clean up" the necks 80% turn or should I turn them so that they're even all around?

chamber is min spec SAAMI.