Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Lapua Brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 01:40 PM

Lapua Brass

I just purchased a 260 Rem, and probably start with 140 VLD. Everyone is saying to go with the Lapua brass, how many reloads have y'all gotten out of a case?
Old 04-29-2013, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Lapua Brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by farpiece View Post
I just purchased a 260 Rem, and probably start with 140 VLD. Everyone is saying to go with the Lapua brass, how many reloads have y'all gotten out of a case?
I doubt everyone's saying to use Lapua brass.

I'd use Winchester or Remington and, properly full length resized with the right die, you should get 25 to 30 reloads per case; easily. Great accuracy, too. Sort 'em into 1/2 grain weight spreads and they'll shoot as good as any other. In my opinion, that is.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:43 PM
Silver Member

Lapua is better brass in my opinion, but Bart B is right about blueprinted Winchester Remington being just as accurate.

Not saying it couldn't happen, but I have never had a Remington/Winchester case go 30 rounds...not even close. I would suggest 5-10 to be a more realistic number. I usually pitch Lapua at 10-15 reloads, but you could easily keep going if you wanted. At that many reloads you are looking at completely re-bluepriting the brass...or at least fixing up the neck/dread doughnut.
All of this depends upon pressure. If you load hot any case will be short lived.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:56 PM
Platinum Member

A friend of mine shot one .308 Win. case 57 times in his match rifle clamped in his machine rest. Sierra 168's over 42 grains of IMR4895 in a Federal case; a max load. Full length sized every time. All of 'em went inside 3/8th inch center to center.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
A friend of mine shot one .308 Win. case 57 times in his match rifle clamped in his machine rest. Sierra 168's over 42 grains of IMR4895 in a Federal case; a max load. Full length sized every time. All of 'em went inside 3/8th inch center to center.
Damn! That is some serious case life!
In Federal brass yet!?

FWIW I can run 46 grains in my rifle and it is right at 60,000psi (I have pressure testing gear).
44.5 grains makes one hole in my rifle.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member

Lapua makes excellent brass, from my experience.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:47 PM
Silver Member

if you want the brass to last and push the envelope a little then buy the lapua brand brass, other than that just buy what you can get if your shooting in the safe zone . Lapua has excellent quality brass that will last much longer...