Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Lake City reload problem?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2014, 09:08 PM
Silver Member

Re: Lake City reload problem?????

Yep your right. I am the OP. Education is a great thing. I just didn't know the problem existed. The only thing I knew about once fired military brass was the cases are said to be heavier and the primer pockets have to be swaged. This was my first attempt at loading rifle. Have done quite a bit of pistol but there is a world of difference I have found out, the hard way. I never gave it a thought that after resizing in the .223 die that the brass would not be sized correctly. I was also under a time limitation. I really had little time to check it out but what I did seemed to work properly. The only time I found I had a sizing problem was in the fall of last year when I was dialing in a scope and quit with a round in the chamber and tried to clear it.
Yep I picked quite a bit of stuff to correct the problem. I still haven't shot the new loads as of yet but only loaded a few to work up a load for the rifle. I hope to get out this week to check everything out. I took everyone apart with the Hornaby bullet puller. (fantastic tool)I used a RCBS small base die on each casing to resize them and checked them with a JR .223 wylde/ 5.56 case gauge. Before the small base die every one was out of spec. Checked before I sized and after. They would cycle but they were being forced into the chamber. Again only knew it when I tried to clear the chamber by hand.

This was a case of checking every detail except the one that bit me. Like I tell my wife all the time you can cheek 999 things out of 10000 and the last one will kick your butt. It wasn't that I didn't size the rounds just that I had no idea I needed a small base die for my rifle.

Not only can you see using the case gauge but you can hear it when you drop the round in. It makes a distinctive sound when it's right.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:33 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Lake City reload problem?????

Education is a great! I will need to invest in a case gauge myself. It sounds like it will save some frustration. Thanks for the great tip.