Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Ladder test w/ new brass -waste of time?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2010, 07:29 AM
Miller Outdoors

Ladder test w/ new brass -waste of time?

Hi all,
I'm just starting testing on another new rifle and have a question.

I've got a bag of new brass sized and trimmed and loaded in .2grain increments for a ladder test. My question is should the ladder test results be any different than a second test that I'd perform with the fire-formed brass/neck sizing? Am I wasting my time doing a ladder test with this new brass, or should the results be similar?

I didn't think of this until after I had the new brass all sized and loaded. What do you think?
Old 05-14-2010, 07:48 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Ladder test w/ new brass -waste of time?

" Am I wasting my time doing a ladder test with this new brass.."

No.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:54 AM
Platinum Member

Unless you are fire forming to an AI or something the test will be close
to the second firing and give you an indication of what you will end up with.

The ultimate accuracy may improve as you tweak your loading process but
the test should be good.

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-14-2010, 10:12 AM
Miller Outdoors

Thanks for the info., gentlemen.

Just got back from firing the test and the results are a bit confusing. I shot it at 205 yards with 185gr Berger VLD's starting with 41 grains of Varget up to 44.2 grains - 17 shots. I shot a 3.15" pretty much round group. The lowest charges started to walk up slightly until about 42.8 grains then the group settled and the last 6 out of 7 shots made a 1.65" group. The only exception was the very last round (which showed no pressure signs) but jumped an inch out of the group.

So much for a nice ladder. How would you interpret these results?

I'm going to now do another test with BL-C2 since I already had them loaded. Would you shoot farther distance or stick with the 205?
Old 05-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Platinum Member

Without seeing your group, I wouldn't even guess about it.

The Ladder method is very good but it won't show much elevation difference at only 205 yards but it can tell you all you need to know IF you don't loose track of which load made what hole. (And the loads need fairly small changes to tell us anything, steps larger than about .2 or 3 gr can allow us to completly skip over the node we are looking for, especially if our shooting skills aren't very good and the winds/mirage are not still. Your .2 gr. changes are very good test steps.)

Sometimes a rifle won't like the bullet or powder so nothing you can do will make it shoot well with them.

Last edited by boomtube; 05-14-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:48 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Outdoors View Post
So much for a nice ladder.

50% of the time I preform a ladder test I get a circle also; the only time I get something resembling a ladder at a short distance is with my 30-30 or pistol.

With the Springfield in the pic below had a 4" circular group; but I only take into account the shot placement of the bullets shot incrementally, the group as a whole didn't come into my figuring of the nodes.

Post a pic of your target and I bet someone will be able to find a few nodes for you.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 05-15-2010, 06:38 AM
Silver Member

i thought ladder tests were for finding a load with best ES or SD and must be fired at long range, ie 800yd-1000yds?

The different powder weights each make a 'rung' in the ladder climbing higher with the heavier powder charges and increased velocity?

only looking at the 'rungs' for least vertical? So, no point in doing it at short range?

or is there another meaning of ladder test?