Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Ladder test target, and how to interpit it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2005, 05:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Ladder test target, and how to interpit it

Teeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnn seeeeeeeeeeeeeecccccccccoooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnddd dssssss [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Isssssssss thhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttt iiiiiiiiinnnnnnn like, elephant years or sumthin? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]Oh well, hey thanks Adam for the sharing. Jim
Old 04-05-2005, 08:30 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
I would like you to post the other targets you mentioned with an explanation of which load you chose and why so if my ladder test dosen't come out as obvious as this one I will have an idea of how to read it. If it isn't too much trouble.

Or better yet, I will post pictures of my first ladder test to get your advice on reading it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I will post some targets when im able. My digital camera isn't cooperating of late. The 300WM ladder just barely fit on the scanner so I did it. Maybe ill take a few pics with the old film camera and scan them when they are developed. When you get your ladder done, post some pics for sure. The more people who try it and like this method, the more it will spread.
[ QUOTE ]
elephant years or sumthin?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, Jimm. once in a while Len offers a million dollar prize to the newest member.... with the same time limit, so you can blame it on him [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2005, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

Gettin' ready for the ladder test come Saturday, weather permitting.

Been burning some 300gr solids and silver tips to kinda get used to the thing before I get my guts up for the bench work.

Starting to rationalize already. Think I can do a decent test with 8 or 10 shots. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] we'll see [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2005, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

If you are going to wear a heavy shirt and jacket to hunt in then wear the same thing to test in. Might help with the recoil issue at least a little.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

4KED,
I have a specially built shooting vest. Cut a piece of some kind of special purpose black insulation about an inch thick and hot glued it to the left shoulder of an old rough out leather vest that I wear when the wind blows in the winter.

There is no "hurt" at all in the recoil but there is a lot of movement even with that pretty firm ruger pat.

I started at 67.5 grains of W760 and loaded to 77gr. Ken Waters says that a max load and gave him 2646 fps many moons ago. We'll see what the chrony says come Saturday.

BTW, you're flat hooked. The bullet makers are gonna make some money offa you. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-08-2005, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

You ain't kidding. This is my wish list from all the shooting we did last weekend.

We will have to see how long it takes to put this list of "gotta have" stuff behind me.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

4KedHorn,

Not trying to hijack the ladder thread will post results tomorrow if I can be confident of 20 shots with 40+ lbs of recoil [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Some tho'ts on your list. Regarding the cleaning rod guide.
I resized a case without pulling the button back through it. Thus its a bit undersized. Drill a hole centered on the flash hole large enought for the cleaning rod.

Soldered the case, trying to keep it centered, to a tube that was long enough to reach over the tang,or so.

Built a bushing for the back end of it.

Made sure my cleaning rod was long enough so that I never had to lift the handle over the but.

You would know better than me if this is a mechanically sound idea. My bigest problem was that my tubing turned out to be zirconium and wouldn't solder worth squat.

Any way maybe worth the 19 bucks.

Also, what't the reasoning behind the 270 nylon brush?