Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Ladder Test Results...need help analyzing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Silver Member

Ladder Test Results...need help analyzing.

Shot my first two ladders today, nothing changed but the powder. Both shot at 300 yards, plotted each shot on a target at the bench indicating the impact with the powder charge for that shot. No signs of excessive pressure for either powder. Rounds were fired at the same aim point with two targets hung vertically to catch all the rounds. Aimed at the center of the top target.

260 Remington
140 gr Berger Hunting VLD
Nosler Brass
BR2 Primers

Powders:
H4350 - 41.5 - 44.5 grains
RL22 - 43.0 - 46.6 grains

Here's the result of the H4350. Rounds fell onto both targets. 44.2 grains is down toward the bottom.

And the RL22. They all fell on the second target.

I know 300 is usually the minimum for a ladder, and I'm wondering if there wasn't enough range to really spread them out. I'm surprised that none of the rounds of H4350 impacted higher than the lowest powder charge. My other 260 likes a max load of RL22. 45.7-46.6 of RL22 looks like it's work exploring. 42.4 - 43.6 in H4350 looks like something to try, just not sure I'm going to get the velocity I want from that charge. These were not shot over a chronograph.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Gold Member

Re: Ladder Test Results...need help analyzing.

Shooting two or even three targets at the same time with the same loads is the best way confirm nodes. Without a second or third target to confirm results, an accidental grouping could be confused as a node. But if one target is all we have, I will be the first to stick my neck out.

With the first target, there appears to be a definite node with the H4350 between 41.5 and the 42.1 grains. Not sure what velocity was produced, but the grouping looks to be sound. There is a second potential node in the 42.7, 43.0 & 43.3 triangle. But experience tells me that having two nodes that close together doesn't make sense. One node is bogus, the other real.

The second target with the RL-22 is a tougher read. At best, I would it inconclusive. Wish I could be more help. Always shoot at least two targets. That way if a node is questionable on one, it can usually be confirmed or discredited with the result on the second target. Wish I could be more help.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Platinum Member

I just don't see anything useful there.
Why are the increasing charge impacts falling lower & lower?
Old 10-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsugarbear View Post
Shooting two or even three targets at the same time with the same loads is the best way confirm nodes. Without a second or third target to confirm results, an accidental grouping could be confused as a node. But if one target is all we have, I will be the first to stick my neck out.

With the first target, there appears to be a definite node with the H4350 between 41.5 and the 42.1 grains. Not sure what velocity was produced, but the grouping looks to be sound. There is a second potential node in the 42.7, 43.0 & 43.3 triangle. But experience tells me that having two nodes that close together doesn't make sense. One node is bogus, the other real.

The second target with the RL-22 is a tougher read. At best, I would it inconclusive. Wish I could be more help. Always shoot at least two targets. That way if a node is questionable on one, it can usually be confirmed or discredited with the result on the second target. Wish I could be more help.
You mean shoot the same ladder rounds on two separate targets to ensure credibility of the results?

I'm not sure what you mean otherwise. I was trying to follow the first step of the ladder test here:
Long-Range Load Development

Just trying to find the accuracy window to start doing smaller powder increments around the nodes and shoot groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
I just don't see anything useful there.
Why are the increasing charge impacts falling lower & lower?
No idea. That's why I'm here asking questions because I did not get results that are easy to see like on the link above.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:24 PM
Gold Member

You'll be much better off shooting an OCW test...

OCW Overview - Dan Newberry's OCW Load Development System

Shoot it according to instructions at 100 yards, and properly interpret your data... and you'll have the load you're looking for. I've been doing this over a dozen years, and never once has a properly conducted and interpreted 100 yard OCW test failed to produce a load that shoots tight at long range.

You can tighten ES by ancillary methods after you get the powder charge sorted out--which again, can be done easily with the Optimal Charge Weight load test.

Dan
Old 10-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Gold Member

jtkratzer,

That's exactly what I meant. Load at least two rounds with same amount/grains of powder. Shoot the first round at target A and the second round at target B. Work up the ladder accordingly. Anyone can pull a shot - making a node appear where one does not exist, or destroying evidence of a potential node. But the chances of pulling the same shot twice in a row with the same powder charge are pretty remote. The second target allows the shooter to confirm or verify the results of the first target.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:26 AM
Bronze Member

41.5-42.1 looks good in the H4350, 2nd target would tell for sure