Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

ladder test question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2005, 11:09 PM
Silver Member

ladder test question.

I have been using .7 grain increments when I do my ladder testing to work up a load. I fire 2 five slow shot groups and use the powder load that gives me best accuracy without going over pressure. Is this a good method or should I change the charge increments to smaller/ bigger? Other ideas would be appreciated as well.

I plan on getting a 300 RUM or a 7mm RUMwith the o.t. this summer and would appreciate the more experienced people's help in developing a load for which ever one I buy.
"I am a stone. I do not move. Very slowly, I put snow in my mouth and he won't see my breath. I take my time. . . I have only one bullet. I aim at his eye. Very gently, my finger presses on the trigger. I do not tremble. I have no fear"
Old 06-05-2005, 11:39 PM
Gold Member

Re: ladder test question.

Sasquatch I know very little about the ladder test but abinok explained it very well on a thread of his here .
He will more than likely respond with some help for you on this.

On another note if you get a 7 RUM I have loads for almost every bullet 140 grain and up and will be more than happy to share them with you.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:43 AM
Silver Member

I just tried the test for myself for the first time. I tried .4gns the first time and then the second time i tried .2gns and got much better results. I had to go out to 400yds to finally see the pattern. This was with my 257 STW. It does work though. You can develope a basic load in about 30rnds. Abinok was the one that got me tryin it too.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:23 AM
Silver Member

For most cartridges .7 increments will put you in and out of a sweetspot in 2 shots.
I did .2 increments in a relatively small range (42.0-44.0, 260Rem) at 320 yards. It worked quite well.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:49 PM
Gold Member

Yep, .7gr is a big step for sure. Ive got a file that explains the process of shooting a ladder test that is relatively coherent if you'd like a copy. Its a pdf flie so its small enough to send on my sloooooow dialup connection with pictures. I can't post it but I can email it. If you'd like it let me know.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:55 PM
Gold Member

Drop me a copy of it abinok if you don't mind. I would like to try it myself. Email is in my profile.
Thanks!
Old 06-06-2005, 08:18 PM
Silver Member

I would truly enjoy having the pdf file to read through. My email is in the profile. thanks.
"I am a stone. I do not move. Very slowly, I put snow in my mouth and he won't see my breath. I take my time. . . I have only one bullet. I aim at his eye. Very gently, my finger presses on the trigger. I do not tremble. I have no fear"