Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

L.R. Rifle Reloads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Silver Member

L.R. Rifle Reloads

I have a 7 rum that i have been working up loads for. I am in Central PA. I have a few topics I would like to hear other guys speak about.

First I'm debating about load development in the summer months compared to winter shooting months. I mostly test loads in the heated summer days. Where I hunt , Snow is on the ground 80% of the time during rifle season. I am up in the air about this? Do other guys take the time out of the winter rifle season to sight in loads? This gun will be a 300 plus yard gun only. nothing really closer then 300. Anyway im dumbfounded with this.

Second .
The guys that do shoot l.r. and reload are you using a chrono to test loads? If so at what distance are you testing at? I have read articles about chronos and im undecided?

I have a round i like as of right now. It was tested in the summer. 100-300 yard test.

I would love to test loads at 100 and 500 yards in the winter and then get leupold caliber specific knobs.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:43 AM
Gold Member

Re: L.R. Rifle Reloads

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1 View Post
I have a 7 rum that i have been working up loads for. I am in Central PA. I have a few topics I would like to hear other guys speak about.

First I'm debating about load development in the summer months compared to winter shooting months. I mostly test loads in the heated summer days. Where I hunt , Snow is on the ground 80% of the time during rifle season. I am up in the air about this? Do other guys take the time out of the winter rifle season to sight in loads? This gun will be a 300 plus yard gun only. nothing really closer then 300. Anyway im dumbfounded with this.
I work up to a safe max load in simular conditions to my hunting season, usualy around sept/oct, too much varience in MV in extreme temp. changes

Quote:

Second .
The guys that do shoot l.r. and reload are you using a chrono to test loads? If so at what distance are you testing at? I have read articles about chronos and im undecided?

I have a round i like as of right now. It was tested in the summer. 100-300 yard test.

I would love to test loads at 100 and 500 yards in the winter and then get leupold caliber specific knobs.
I chrony at 5 yards, then use ballistic programs to figure my actual MV. The knobs will work pretty well in the east to around 700 yards, beyond that the current atmosperic conditions must be taken into account, you can only do this with a ballistic program, or file full of drop charts.
Not saying its the only way to do it but its what works best for me.
RR
Old 06-04-2011, 08:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Second .

Depending on what brand of powder you are using you need to check velocity swings from summer
to winter.

Some powders are temperature sensitive and some are not. so testing your load will tell you if you
have a problem with this.

During the summer I load down from max and during the winter I can up the powder charge
if I have to on some powders.WARNING!!! These loads should not be used during the summer
and should be marked so.

I chronograph every thing I load at 16' and measure drop out to the distance to be used because
with temp changes comes other factors that can effect bulled flight.

The chronograph is a wonderful tool for long range shooters but it will not tell you what your
bullet is doing at different distances.

Take/make the time to sight in during the winter. Most serious long range shooters even check
zeros when changing altitude.

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-04-2011, 07:15 PM
Silver Member

I will shoot in winter months the first chance i can. What chrono does most guys like? I am debating on buying one.. I have never tested any of my reloads on a chrono.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I will shoot in winter months the first chance i can. What chrono does most guys like? I am debating on buying one.. I have never tested any of my reloads on a chrono.
Shooting without a chrono is like shooting with your eyes closed. I use a Chrony Master...

Shooting Chrony F1 Master Chronograph - MidwayUSA

My buddy uses a ProChrono...

Competition Electronics ProChrono Pal Chronograph - MidwayUSA

We have tested these against an Oehler and have been satisifed that they do not "lie"
Old 06-04-2011, 08:56 PM
Silver Member

Hodgdon makes an entire line of Extreme powders that are "temperature insensitive". I can vouch for several that their claims are valid. I don't own a RUM but I used to own a 300 Win Mag. I used Retumbo powder with good success and didn't have any pressure problems regardless of air temperature. I suggest taking a serious look at Retumbo. Winchester Large Rifle Magnum primers worked well for me with this powder.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Silver Member

My 7rum seems to love h-50bmg. I also loaded a few with rl25. I would like to find a good load with the h-50. Lyman book says the accuracy load is 104 grns. with a 150 grn swift scirocco. I load that bullet .

I have been wanting a chrono for a while. I reload a decent amount.

I was loading them right off the lands but i could only use it as a single shot. Lyman says 3600 for the caol for just about every bullet it lists. I am going to see if i can get a good load trhat will still fit in the mag.

Any tips or anything i should know be4 using the chrono?