Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Kodiac Bonded Core Bullets - Any experiences with them?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2006, 07:36 PM
Gold Member

Kodiac Bonded Core Bullets - Any experiences with them?

I have a couple of boxes of 135gr .308 Cal. Kodiac bonded core bullets, which are for single shot pistol rounds. Since we have the chance to possibly nail a really big hog, I have decided that the 125gr BT might not be such a wise choice due to possible penetration problems. I thought that I had a box of 125gr Barnes, but either don't, or I haven't dug deep enough through all of my reserves.

So since I need to keep this on the light end for recoil purposes, and since I have these Kodiac's in 135gr I figured that they might work for our purpose. I was just wandering if anyone else out there might have tried them, and if so how did they work out?

Bear in mind, the velocity is only going to be somewhere in the range of 2200fps, and the max range will only be about 50 yds if that.

Thanks,

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 11-09-2006, 11:59 PM
Gold Member

Re: Kodiac Bonded Core Bullets - Any experiences with them?

I talked with some guys up in Alaska that were touting some of their heavies as godly projectiles. Hawk is another semi-popular big bore bullet maker that got a lot of lip service. Any bonded bullet should be fine. From what I have seen, you should be good with expansion down to around 16-1700 fps. I assume if they are pistol bullets, they have a flat or at least broader meplat? That too would aide in expansion at lower velocities. Just put the bullets between the eye and ear and DRT pigs will be your prize!
Old 11-10-2006, 05:11 AM
Gold Member

Re: Kodiac Bonded Core Bullets - Any experiences with them?

Thanks Steve,

I also have some Hawks but not in .308 cal. The Kodiac's are spitzers made primarily for the single shot pistols. I am hoping that with the solid copper jacket and bonded core that they will hold together and punch through some decent amount of a big hog. As for the between the eye's shot, I will hold off on that for a while till he gets a little more experience under his belt.

From the size of the tracks we saw Saturday, there is a huge one hanging out back there by our set up. We got the youngster entered in one of the statewide contest under the youth division just in case he manages to drop it. Figured why not it was free, and the potential for a huge hog is definately there.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"