Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Which Kit to Start with????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 09:38 AM

Re: Which Kit to Start with????

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all the great advice! I know I have a lot to learn & now I have somewhere to start from. I've read a lot about getting the best accuracy possible from working up the load my rifle likes best. I can't wait to get started & see what kind of groups I can ring out of my firearms. The people on this forum are great & a wealth of information.

Thanks Again!!!!
Old 08-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member

As some have mentioned, I too am not a fan of kits. Having spent money once only to spend it again...I learned to do my homework and then buy what I believe to be the very best irregardless of cost(no I'm not rich) sometimes I'd have to save a little longer. IMHO here's what I'd recommend. Start with for example...the press. Do your research, articles, reviews, forums, fellow reloaders etc then make your decision. Then go onto the next item and so on. By the time your done you'll know a whole lot more and probably will not wind up spending your money twice. Just a heads up RCBS is now made in china.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:26 AM

If your still lookin, this seems like a fair shake.

For sale, RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme kit - The loading room shelf - Classifieds - The Handloaders Bench
Old 08-09-2010, 12:04 AM
Platinum Member

The only reason I would recomend a "KIT" is because a new shooter normally does not know what is the best and also what he will want after he loads for a while.

In a kit the basic tools are there and it is a good starting point to learn. as the re loader gets
more familiar with reloading he may want an electronic scale and maybe a match grade set of
dies but starting out he will normally not have the skill or experience to pick the best tool for
his style of shooting or just the particular part he will like the best.

The more experienced re loader knows what works best for him and as everyone knows there
are a lot of different opinions on loading components and a kit just gets you started without
all of the personal choices that the experienced re loaders recomend.

We all like different tools to do the same job .I started with a kit and loaded some fine reloads
that were competitive but now if I had to start all over I would pick and chose different brands
for each component. Dies, press,scales, case trimmer, ETC.

My best frend started with a Lyman Kit and I started with a RCBS kit and he still has the Lyman
press and I still have the RCBS press and neither of us would give up our presses.

But both have bought different Scales,die brands and Miscellaneous tools that are different
brands and we were both very competitive even though we used different stuff.

So I would still recomend starting with the basic tool for reloading and grow with your skills.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM
Old 08-09-2010, 04:13 AM
Silver Member

Look at the "Blue Press", Dillon Precision. I have the RL550B progressive. Comes with everything you need to start loadig, great instructions, plus a toll free number to call & talk to a real human, knowledgeable, being. No BS lifetime warranty. Mine is over 15 years old, and has yet to malfunction. The package runs about $400.

www.dillonprecision.com

Just my 2c

JohnP
Old 08-09-2010, 06:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
The only reason I would recomend a "KIT" is because a new shooter normally does not know what is the best and also what he will want after he loads for a while.

In a kit the basic tools are there and it is a good starting point to learn. as the re loader gets
more familiar with reloading he may want an electronic scale and maybe a match grade set of
dies but starting out he will normally not have the skill or experience to pick the best tool for
his style of shooting or just the particular part he will like the best.

The more experienced re loader knows what works best for him and as everyone knows there
are a lot of different opinions on loading components and a kit just gets you started without
all of the personal choices that the experienced re loaders recomend.

We all like different tools to do the same job .I started with a kit and loaded some fine reloads
that were competitive but now if I had to start all over I would pick and chose different brands
for each component. Dies, press,scales, case trimmer, ETC.

My best frend started with a Lyman Kit and I started with a RCBS kit and he still has the Lyman
press and I still have the RCBS press and neither of us would give up our presses.

But both have bought different Scales,die brands and Miscellaneous tools that are different
brands and we were both very competitive even though we used different stuff.

So I would still recomend starting with the basic tool for reloading and grow with your skills.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM
Well said, it is for this same reason I started with the Lyman Expert Deluxe Kit.

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjacko99 View Post
I am thinking about learning to reload, and the question I have is: What kit is the best for a novice to learn on? I have seen 3 kits at the local Bass Pro. They are the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit, Hornady Lock-NLoad Classic Kit & the Lyman T-Mag Expert Deluxe Reloading Kit.

Would any of these be a good choice? I'm lost and need the advice from people with experience.

Thanks
Kjack099,

If you have a friend(s) that reload I would start with them. Ask to see their reloading bench and ask lots of questions. They will be able to steer you in the right direction and save you tons of time and money.
CheaperThanDirt has some good deals going on right now too.
I have a used Rockchucker, new Ohaus scale, Lee hand primer tool, Lee hand case length trimmer. I would recommend getting/borrowing a couple of reloading manuals before making an purchases. Reloading isn't cheap by any means. Components such as Bullets? Powders? Primers? Dies? You will find an infinite number of possibilites to choose from. It can be very time consuming but the rewards are well worth it for me anyway.
I have been reloading for 40+ years and learn something new whenever I talk to friends that reload on a regular basis.
It is a great hobby and once you start talking to other reloaders it will only increase your entheuasim to get to the bench. It's very rewarding to see your group sizes getting smaller and smaller.
Lastly, do you have access to a range where you can test your worked up loads? You will need a rock solid bench with sand bags, targets & don't forget you cleaning kit. When I test new loads, I test several at a time. I clean the barrel after every test. Usually 8-10 rounds. I fire a couple of spotter shots with next load to be tested before starting the next test also. So in all, I load 3-4 different recipies at a time for testing. On each target, be sure to write the COL, bullet type, manufactor & weight, case brand, powder brand & weight, cross wind direction & temperature.
Also keep a log for each rifle with the above data.

Good luck,
Roy