Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Which Kit for First Time Reloader?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Which Kit for First Time Reloader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
I do not even use my powder dump or trickler. Lee makes a variety pack of little plastic spoons. I use a large one to get close and a small one to tap in the rest (top it off). That is just as easy for me but I did it that way for ye ars before even finding out what a trickler was.
Somewhere, the CEO of a company manufacturing $1800 artificially intelligent automatic measuring self-automated powder dispensing robots just broke into a cold sweat. Plastic spoons?!?!? How do you sleep at night?
Old 03-17-2013, 11:12 AM
Gold Member

Yep, My bad.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:14 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varminth8r View Post
somewhere, the ceo of a company manufacturing $1800 artificially intelligent automatic measuring self-automated powder dispensing robots just broke into a cold sweat. Plastic spoons?!?!? How do you sleep at night? :d
lmfao!!!
Old 03-18-2013, 05:20 PM
Silver Member

. Hey thanks for all the replies... lot of good input so far. I'm not necessarily locked into bass pro... i DO have a gift card there but I could always use it on some other BS. So I'm looking everywhere I suppose

I planned on upgrading to a digital scale no matter what... so I keep asking myself why bother getting a kit that has stuff I won't use? I think I'm going to have to piece this one together.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:52 PM
Silver Member

Hey dumb question... what's the difference between all the types of dies? I'm looking and there are neck sizer, full length sizer, seater, mandrel assembly? I know I'm being lazy as I'm sure all this information is in the book I purchased, I just haven't read it yet and I'm looking for the quick answer...

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2013, 01:25 PM
Bronze Member

To answer your latest question, a full length sizing die does just that, reforms the case to SAAMI spec's down the full length (except the last 1/4" or so, and for that you'll need a small base die, but let's not go there yet). The neck sizer does not engage anything below the neck, resizing it only to ensure proper neck tension on the bullet.

I would add my two cents on the kits: make a list of what you have to have, and several here had fairly complete lists, but be cautious about the digital scale/dispensers. Personally, I didn't like them and still do my rifles with a powder throw and trickle to desired load. I have a friend who shoots match quality groups who uses a shell casing ground to a very specific length for a particular powder and load with a soldered handle on the side. Same thing as Lee's dipper spoons, but he's too cheap to buy a set and won't use the ones I gave him.

BTW, I used an old RCBS RS single stage press for 30 years, still have and use it.

Use your BPS credits for bullets/primers/powders if/when they get some.

Good luck and welcome to the insanity.

rick
Old 03-20-2013, 01:32 PM
Platinum Member

Neck-Sizer dies are the way to go, IMO. That's all I use for my bolt-action rifles. It keeps the brass fire-formed to your chamber, therefore your loads are more accurate. Also, you aren't working the brass as much, so it helps your brass to last longer.

I, too, prefer RCBS equipment. I use their dies and presses. I use a Rocker Chucker Supreme single-stage press.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.