Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Which Kit for First Time Reloader?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 12:13 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Which Kit for First Time Reloader?

I am fairly a newbie, but I built my setup, and it works exponentially better than what would have came in a kit. I still use some of the basic stuff that would have come in a kit, but mostly buying all high-end products from the get-go has really been working quite well, so far.

Also, 3 of the best tools I can give advice to so order is a press-mounted collet puller, decapping dies, and a good high-end caliper like a Starrett 799.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:57 AM
Platinum Member

I don't disagree with Boomtube or Mudrunner. Especially regarding high-end calipers, they are a must (and can be found at reasonable prices gently used if you look). Bittom line is you need to get going so that you can determine what does (and does not) work for you.

That being said, your initial budget and your BPro gift card probably makes a kit worthwhile as a place to get started (not to exclusively use until the end of time). I am familiar with the Hornady, so I'll use that as reference:

Press - the Hornady press is pretty good, and will probably be "good enough" forever
Powder throw - mine is pretty accurate, and I trickle to nominal so "good enough"
Hand prime - not the best I have used for feel, but works and is easy.
E-scale - junk, but not unsafe. Upgrade if you get serious. Good to weight sort.
Trickler - commodity. Doubt any are way better or way worse, and you need one
Funnel - commodity. Doubt any are way better or way worse, and you need one
Chamfer/deburr - commodity. Doubt any are way better or way worse, and you need one
Primer flipper - commodity. Doubt any are way better or way worse, and you need one
Case block - commodity. Doubt any are way better or way worse, and you need one
Case lube - I like the one-shot, and still use it for FL sizing
Manual - can never have too many!

IMO, there is not a lot of frilly BS in this kit that will end up in the landfill. Once you get rolling and determine how you like to load you can upgrade (ie beam scale vs auto dispenser and other forum-fight questions).

Big disclaimer - there is a lot of Hornady stuff that I hate. I am not endorsing their kit so much as saying it contains mostly stuff you will need/will use over the longer term. Any of the major manufacturers who have a similar kit (without frilly BS items) will probably work equally well. I am not a "brand X is awesome and all other brands suck" guy. My bench is now so frickin colorful now it looks like a clown orgy.

Good luck
Old 03-17-2013, 10:04 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CogburnR View Post

Bass Pro's bank is anti-gun.

Boycott BOA
..... and Obamarado (previously know as Colorado)!

Doc

"History does not long trust the care of freedom to the weak or timid" Dwight David Eisenhower
Sic Semper Tyrannis...Veritas et Aequitas

Old 03-17-2013, 10:06 AM
Gold Member

"Big disclaimer - there is a lot of Hornady stuff that I hate. I am not endorsing their kit so much as saying it contains mostly stuff you will need/will use over the longer term. Any of the major manufacturers who have a similar kit (without frilly BS items) will probably work equally well. I am not a "brand X is awesome and all other brands suck" guy. My bench is now so frickin colorful now it looks like a clown orgy."

I can not believe I am saying this but "CLOWN ORGY" is the best term to describe a good reloading station.
Research the press and scale of each kit individually before you buy.
These are the most significant and expensive items to replace or upgrade so if you can get "good enough" on both those you can upgrade the little stuff rather painlessly as you go if you want to. That should be easy for the press maybe not so easy for the scale.

There are some individual things that will come up no matter what. For instance: I can not use the little chamfer tools from these kits, they kill my hands and cramp my knuckles so I need the big handled old man version.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:10 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocB View Post
..... and Obamarado (previously know as Colorado)!

Doc
My God they have bean way off the rail. Colorado=waisted, Boa=waisted, Bass pro shop=waisted??? If that is the case, use up you card and then get aquatinted with midwayusa or sinclair.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:40 AM
Bronze Member

+1 to Varmint's post with the exception that I have a Lee press, powder dump and scale. They work perfectly fine.

I'll tell you straight out DO NOT get the Lee challenger press. It's Junk! Cam over is horrific and it flexes when sizing larger cases. The classic cast, on the other hand, is as good as any single stage out there. You're going to need a trimmer as well and I used the Lee trimmers for years. A little time consuming but inexpensive and they work fine.

Honestly you don't really "need" a powder dump. Use a small plastic measuring spoon to put powder on the scale pan and finish with a trickler. After a few times you can visually gauge to within a grain.

Get a good press and calipers, a scale, case prep tools and components. for $200 you can be set up to load. Other things can be added as your budget/needs see fit.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, we all were newbies at one time and most of us here are willing to help if we can.

Good luck and welcome to the club!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:59 AM
Gold Member

I do not even use my powder dump or trickler. Lee makes a variety pack of little plastic spoons. I use a large one to get close and a small one to tap in the rest (top it off). That is just as easy for me but I did it that way for years before even finding out what a trickler was.