Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Which Kit for First Time Reloader?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 12:59 PM
Silver Member

Which Kit for First Time Reloader?

Own a 300wm looking to get into reloading finally. I don't want the top dollar kit as I simply don't have the funds for it. I'm looking at the Hornady Lock-n-Load Classic Reloading Kit ($300 @ bass pro). Includes -

"The Hornady® Lock-N-Load® Classic™ Reloading Kit features the Lock-N-Load Classic single-stage press, Lock-N-Load™ powder measure, magnetic scale, reloading handbook, three Lock-N-Load die bushings, primer catcher, Positive Priming System™, handheld priming tool, universal reloading block, chamfering and deburring tool, primer turning plate, and One Shot™ case lube."

Or the Lee Breech Lock Challenger Kit ($150 @ bass pro) Includes -

Reload your own ammo at home with the Lee Breech Lock Challenger Kit. This quality single-stage press kit contains everything but the dies for reloading. Made for reloaders who like to prime off the press, the durable, single stage Breech Lock Challenger Press features a Lever Prime System and Breech Lock Quick Change die system. Giving you the strength of a strong O frame and compound leverage lever, the Challenger also comes with one Breech Lock quick-change bushing for quick and accurate die changes. The Primer pocket cleaner cleans both large and small primer pockets while the Auto Prime XR hand priming tool and Auto-Prime Shell Holders quickly prime the cartridges again. Perfect Powder Measure, Safety Scale, and Powder Funnel help you deliver perfectly sized loads every time. The cutter and lock stud tool trims cases with a base diameter less than .475, while the chamfer tool deburrs the cases after trimming for smoother and easier reloading. One tube of resizing lube for easier sizing. Comes with detailed instructions.

I like that the Hornady comes with the digital scale already, plus the Hornady Kit has a mail in rebate for 500 free bullets. But I'm just not sure. I have a few books on reloading that I plan on reading but until then I have no knowledge of what kit I should look at. If anyone has any good suggestions please let me know. It would be a great help

T
Old 03-16-2013, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Which Kit for First Time Reloader?

Started loading when I was around 16 and back then not much money. Bought one piece at a time (Herters Press) was my first, and started loading and shooting those loads. Did not load for accuracy as I do today but to save money. The learning process was pretty fast and as I learned I added things that experience told me I needed. I still have those tools today except for the press and dies which I gave to a friend.

So what I would suggest is buy a simple kit and start loading. Then when you gain experience and need to do something with a load and don't have the proper tool go and buy what you need.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 03-16-2013, 01:40 PM
Silver Member

Either one is ok, Are both available?

The Lee kit is cheaper from FSRELOADING.com 118$ and in stock.

https://fsreloading.com/lee-precisio...kit-90030.html

Bass Pro's bank is anti-gun.

Boycott BOA
Old 03-16-2013, 02:07 PM
Silver Member

Excellent points both of you... I did consider just buying all the components individually too and just piecing together what I need.

I'd like to keep the purchase to basspro only because I got a gift card and so there's money to spend there anyway. :(
Old 03-16-2013, 02:56 PM
Platinum Member

I love my RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme press, RCBS dies, and ChargeMaster 1500 automated scale.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

I started with the LNL kit about 4 years ago. While my techniques, equipment, and anal-retentiveness have all evolved (or maybe devolved), I still use a lot of the items in that kit.

IMO it is a reasonably priced kit that is made well enough to not have to be completely replaced if you start to get fanatical. The one thing it is missing is a trimmer - if you are not doing a ton of volume I would recommend looking at the Wilson.

Good luck with a great hobby!
Old 03-16-2013, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

All kits are for first time reloaders, no experienced old hand will be buying a kit.

All of our makers give excellant value and few old hands who actually know much about the various tools are stuck on or against any one brand, we buy for desired features instead.