Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Kirby Allen’s “no load development” load development method.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 05:10 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Kirby Allen’s “no load development” load development method.

What new powder is that?

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member

More speed out of Kirby's guns!?!? The AM's are way out on the edge already! lol
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 09-23-2012, 02:25 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
rick I'm sort of in the same place with a guy I work with. He wants a rifle he can shoot milk jugs ect. at 1000yrds with, but he doesn't want to even go through assembling a rifle, wants to keep his costs to $650. His words "I don't want a rifle I have to mess with, it'll just shoot out of the box" I told him ok! Tikka then! I also showed him what he could assemble a savage for. From low end using prethreaded, chambered Shilen barrel, BC duramax stock.... and High end using one of Shilens better barrels, and a McMillan stock (keep in mind I was only showing him what he can assemble not build along with what it would cost) and pointed out that one of his neighbors does this and can help him out. My money is that he'll go buy as cheap a rifle as he can and still wish for more. To my mind if a guy can't swing a full custom rifle, assembling one based on a savage that will fit what your after is money far better spend than to be left wishing for more, and assembling a rifle doesn't have to be done all at once you can spread it out to absorb the costs easier.
Plus one here I'm slowly building a Stevens 223 varmint rifle and its so much fun watching your groups just keep getting smaller and smaller ;-)

Right now I have lapped the bolt and lugs installed a riflebasix trigger put rifle in a stockys long range thumbhole stock pillared and glass bedded. Next well be a biggie new barrel and recoil lug and then new one piece game reaper mount and vortex scope.

I do have a question for you pro rifle builders is haveing the action trued and blueprinted a need to thing or a want to?????

P.S. as of right now I have less than $600 in my rifle and it shoots sub moa out to 500 yards maybe more
Old 09-23-2012, 08:24 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
rick I'm sort of in the same place with a guy I work with. He wants a rifle he can shoot milk jugs ect. at 1000yrds with, but he doesn't want to even go through assembling a rifle, wants to keep his costs to $650. His words "I don't want a rifle I have to mess with, it'll just shoot out of the box" I told him ok! Tikka then! I also showed him what he could assemble a savage for. From low end using prethreaded, chambered Shilen barrel, BC duramax stock.... and High end using one of Shilens better barrels, and a McMillan stock (keep in mind I was only showing him what he can assemble not build along with what it would cost) and pointed out that one of his neighbors does this and can help him out. My money is that he'll go buy as cheap a rifle as he can and still wish for more. To my mind if a guy can't swing a full custom rifle, assembling one based on a savage that will fit what your after is money far better spend than to be left wishing for more, and assembling a rifle doesn't have to be done all at once you can spread it out to absorb the costs easier.
I totally agree with you. My smith is only about 15mi. from me and after I talked with him and told him what I wanted that is basically what I did I paid for parts up front as he orderd them in since the lead times were so long . He would have done the same for my buddy, but for some reason he (my friend )was hesitant to have a gun built by someone he didn't know. I think he wanted to see what my rifle was gonna do. I figured if a guy says he will build me a rifle that will do better than 1/2 moa and put it in writing and give me the gun at no cost if it dosn't I'll take a chance. I knew he is a BR shooter and builds all of his own rifles. I didn't find out till later he has won several gun smith awards. He called me yesterday when he got back from Raton N.M. where he finished second in the 1000 yd F class shoot I beleive he said. anywayI took a chance on his work the only regret I have is I am going to shoot the barrel out of this gun sooner than I should because it is so much fun to shoot an accurate rifle.
Good news is I know someone that can rebarrel.Lol
Rick
Old 09-23-2012, 08:29 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esshup View Post
Rick, I'm about 30 miles SW of South Bend.
About 150 mi. away a little to far to meet for coffee sometime. I do get up that way sometimes I'll pm you next time I come that way. Too bad we can't use our rifles at home for deer season makes me wish I lived in Wy.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:40 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick523 View Post
About 150 mi. away a little to far to meet for coffee sometime. I do get up that way sometimes I'll pm you next time I come that way. Too bad we can't use our rifles at home for deer season makes me wish I lived in Wy.
Sounds good. We can use the rifles - on a deer depredation tag. I'm a listed shooter for a farm up by South Bend, but they didn't get the permit until the corn was tall, so the deer had lots of places to hide. The farm is about a mile and a half wide by 3 miles long.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by submoa View Post
Plus one here I'm slowly building a Stevens 223 varmint rifle and its so much fun watching your groups just keep getting smaller and smaller ;-)

Right now I have lapped the bolt and lugs installed a riflebasix trigger put rifle in a stockys long range thumbhole stock pillared and glass bedded. Next well be a biggie new barrel and recoil lug and then new one piece game reaper mount and vortex scope.

I do have a question for you pro rifle builders is haveing the action trued and blueprinted a need to thing or a want to?????

P.S. as of right now I have less than $600 in my rifle and it shoots sub moa out to 500 yards maybe more
My latest project was a Savage 110 L/A and my smith said, because of Savage's bolt design, all it need is to square the action to maximize full contact of the new barrel and lug.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.