Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Kirby Allen’s “no load development” load development method.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Kirby Allen’s “no load development” load development method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
"Just like he described in his original post, I shot loads of increasing increments (1/2 grain) until I got a lightly sticky bolt – this happened at 68 grains. I then backed off 2 grains to 66 grains and loaded three."

I didn't see his original post; did he suggest that 2 grains below stickly bolts would shoot well?

If so, did he mention that 2 grains would be lot more change for small cartridges than larger ones?
In the article I was referring to my wildcats which would mean that a 2 grain reduction would be a 1.5 to 2% reduction off what I determinded was top working pressures. I do not load until the bolt is sticky, just until I can feel some resistance on the bolt. Most will load their ammo hotter then where I decide to stop and turn around at.

Some common sense needs to be used and this is simply a starting point. Fortunately in most of my rifles, there is no need to look any farther. Tinkeritis is for BR shooters, not for long range big game hunters that shoot seriously potent chamberings in their rifles.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-14-2012, 08:14 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

All that really counts is the largest groups because that's all the shooter can depend on when he pulls a trigger, the "average" group means nothing for an individual shot. I haven't averaged any rifle's groups since I realized that truth some 30+ years ago.[/QUOTE]

Thats not exactly true, the most improtant thing and the thing that counts the most if your first shot. Not saying that followup shots are not very important but if things are set up correctly and you know your rifle and load and can shoot, they can be very important but RARELY NEEDED!!!

I can learn more about my rifle with 10 shots of practical field shooting then you shooting 200 rounds on a bench on paper......

When you have a rifle that has a 1000 round barrel life, you learn quickly how to get a load developed, drop chart tested and proven and ready to use in the field with very few rounds down the bore. Again, several ways to skin a cat, do what works for you but do not tell others they are nothing but lucky, makes you look very inexperienced with those comments.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-14-2012, 08:16 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3006savage View Post
Just guessing here but I'll bet the no load development technique works a lot better in high end custom guns than it does in my factory rifles. One thing is for sure it seems to have been the ticket for Paul. Nice shooting.

We have a winner here!!! IN my original article it was about FULL CUSTOM built rifles that I build for my customers, not factory rifles where you have to deal with poor machining, bad chambers, loose bores, stressed barrels with inconsistant barrel vibration patterns, bad stocks and loose bedding......

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-14-2012, 08:19 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

[QUOTE=Bart B; One sometimes has to make a compromise between having bullets leave as fast as possible or land on target as close together as possible. Usually one cannot have both.[/QUOTE]

Thats why you use a case design with enough horsepower to offer all the performance you could ever want and do so accurately and consistantly. Kind of why the Allen Magnums and Allen Xpress wildcats were design. Consistancy, Velocity and Consistancy equals lots of cleanly harvested big game animals at long range.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-14-2012, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
Tinkeritis is for BR shooters, not for long range big game hunters that shoot seriously potent chamberings in their rifles.
I sure learned that the HARD way!!!!!
Old 09-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
I sure learned that the HARD way!!!!!

We all do!!!

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-14-2012, 09:11 PM
Silver Member

I like a man that says it like it is, no "BS"........well done Kirby!!