Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Kirby Allen’s “no load development” load development method.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Kirby Allen’s “no load development” load development method.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakkon View Post
So with this method you would take a load manual like Nosler and choose the powder they say is the most accurate tested, start at the top load range and work up in .5 increments?
I would pick a powder for stability and desired performance, not what Nosler or another company syas is "most accurate" in their test rifle barrels, which are much different than our hunting rifle barrels.

Always start low and work up. You must remember that Kirby does this for a living and he makes precision rifles that shoot just about anything well. After building and testing "x" number of rifles, he has a very good idea of what is going to work.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Bronze Member

Good advice thanks...
Old 09-10-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewiseman View Post
Where can we find his article? It isn't coming up in a search here.

Don't feel alone.

I have logged in many times, and registered a few times and still can't read what Mr. Allen has writen. IMO this site has become too cluttered and complacated for easy access. I have found others just as interesting and informative.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:57 PM
Bronze Member

I have a brand new custom rifle built by Jim See at Centershot rifles. It's a work of art for sure, and the culmination of a dream. Now I'm ready to find the ideal pet cartridge that my new gun loves. I've got a really low post count, but I've lurked on here for well over a year. I've researched and read about loading and ladder tests, and OAL, and measuring to the ogive, and starting powder charges, and waiting until the 2nd full moon of the month to test it all out. This fellow Wildcat Paul takes the advice of arguably one of the most well respected rifle builders out there in Kirby Allen, and it works for him, (really well) and a bunch of fellows pile on like he's a f-ing moron because it worked? It's unbelievable. Nice work Paul. I hope to be able to shoot a few "fliers" in to a tight group like you.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

Norcal

Thanks! interesting find, I'm gonna have to chew on that one a while and maybe give it a whirl sometime
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 09-11-2012, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member

It's not surprising to me that a load 2 grains short of extruding brass back into the bolt holes is accurate. Only thing I would add is the powder choice. The slowest powders often shoot a given bullet out much faster than those closer to medium speeds. Such as 4350 compared to 4064 in the .30-06 with medium weight bullets. Problem often is, slow powders often don't produce as consistant pressure curves. Muzzle velocity spread is too great for best accuracy at the longer ranges. One sometimes has to make a compromise between having bullets leave as fast as possible or land on target as close together as possible. Usually one cannot have both.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Martin View Post
When you can do that 8 or 10 times in a row you will be assured you have something until then it is just as likely and more probable you had three fliers that landed in the same place. I have a new rifle I just had built that will shoot a group like that about 3 out of 50 shots, the rest of the time it would make a better high lift jack handle.
WOW, your coming across pretty hard. I think you need to go back to the HIDE with your 10 shot groups where its a requirement.

On this forum, the goal is to put the first shot through the vitals at 1000 yards.

My load development that I reported on simply stated how I develope a load for a new rifle in my wildcat chamberings to get me started. I load up 1 grain at a time until I JUST feel the bolt lift increasing. Not until the bolt lift gets sticky. Then reduce the load by 2 grains. This will drop me off max by 1.5 to 2% with my wildcat capacities. Again, I was not talking about all chamberings.

THEN I TAKE THIS LOAD AND RIFLE OUT AT LONG RANGE and prove it to see if it shoots. 90% of the time that load will shoot to my 1/2 moa accuracy potential requirement and also will put first shot within 1/4 moa from point of aim at long range.

Again, I could care less about 5 shot or 10 shot 100 yard groups. Those mean nothing to me and with my wildcats, your simply wasting barrel life shooting strings that long. I tell my customers to limit shot strings to 3 shots to prevent barrel overheating. If your shooting a smaller rifle, no problem but with these chamberings, 10 shot strings are very hard on throats.

Again, maybe you need to tone it back a bit, your coming off like an *****.

I would put my loads and rifles up against anyones when used in the field in field shooting positions any day of the week. There are many ways to skin a cat and if you do not realize that your simply showing your lack of experience and humility.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com