Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading


Reply

Kirby Allen’s “no load development” load development method.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 09-26-2009, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mountians of SW NC, near Asheville
Posts: 1,596
Re: Kirby Allen’s “no load development” load development method.

Well, with no idea of what Mr. Allen suggests, I have found that, contrary to most "load down for better accuracy" ideas, most of my rifles shoot best when loaded hot. I attribute it at least partially to a better, more consistant burn when the load is in the proper pressure/burn rate range.

But, statistally, any three or even five closely punched shots is likely to be a freak incidence until it's proven otherwise, by a LOT more shots! And averaging of group sizes is deceptive, it only serves as self deception, thinking about our extra large groups.

All that really counts is the largest groups because that's all the shooter can depend on when he pulls a trigger, the "average" group means nothing for an individual shot. I haven't averaged any rifle's groups since I realized that truth some 30+ years ago.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-11-2009, 08:58 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,009
Re: Kirby Allen’s “no load development” load development method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autorotate View Post
Nice group Paul. I'd take three fliers in a row like that any day of the week!
Its good to see at least one positive minded response to this thread. The guy found a nice load and posted it with the background on how he got there.

Why all the negativity? Its sad, really.

Good job, by the way.

L_L
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 279
Re: Kirby Allen’s “no load development” load development method.

Just guessing here but I'll bet the no load development technique works a lot better in high end custom guns than it does in my factory rifles. One thing is for sure it seems to have been the ticket for Paul. Nice shooting.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Aberdeen, SD
Posts: 525
Re: Kirby Allen’s “no load development” load development method.

Nice group. Looks like you are off to a good start. I followed Kirby's procedure for my new Remington Sendero 300 win mag. It got me surprisingly close in a relative short period of time. My groups aren't quite as tight as your picture but close. Right now I'm working up some loads to tweak it a little more.
Maybe the bitter responses are that some of the mystery has been taken away.
My thoughts - use what works for you.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-12-2009, 08:22 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Potomac River
Posts: 5,057
Re: Kirby Allen’s “no load development” load development method.

The odds that three consecutive shots that land close together are "Fliers" is less than 2%. Conversely the odds that the group is meaning full (i.e that there are causative factors such as correct powder and good bullet) is 98%.

It is erroneous to believe that the exact group size is repetitive but it is likely that the size will be similar.

Same rifle, same load different days. 130 grain HP RBBT Wildcat bulllet.




__________________
The Smokin Fur Rifle Club
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-02-2010, 06:32 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 56
Re: Kirby Allen’s “no load development” load development method.

So with this method you would take a load manual like Nosler and choose the powder they say is the most accurate tested, start at the top load range and work up in .5 increments?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-02-2010, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,009
Re: Kirby Allen’s “no load development” load development method.

i don't think you should start at the top load range. Start at the min or mid load range but not the top...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Kirby Allen’s “no load development” load development method.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
338 Rum load development D.Camilleri Reloading 12 06-20-2011 01:47 AM
Liink to Ladder/Audette Method of Load Development BountyHunter Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 9 06-12-2011 04:10 PM
.243 load development ajridgedell Reloading 14 01-23-2011 08:55 PM
Load Development gonehuntingagain Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 2 06-08-2004 10:31 AM
Ladder Method of Load Development BountyHunter Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 6 08-05-2002 11:25 PM

Current Poll
Do you archery hunt for elk?
YES - 32.29%
72 Votes
NO - 50.67%
113 Votes
Not yet, but I plan to. - 17.04%
38 Votes
Total Votes: 223
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC