Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Kirby Allen’s “no load development” load development method.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2009, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Kirby Allen’s “no load development” load development method.

Well, with no idea of what Mr. Allen suggests, I have found that, contrary to most "load down for better accuracy" ideas, most of my rifles shoot best when loaded hot. I attribute it at least partially to a better, more consistant burn when the load is in the proper pressure/burn rate range.

But, statistally, any three or even five closely punched shots is likely to be a freak incidence until it's proven otherwise, by a LOT more shots! And averaging of group sizes is deceptive, it only serves as self deception, thinking about our extra large groups.

All that really counts is the largest groups because that's all the shooter can depend on when he pulls a trigger, the "average" group means nothing for an individual shot. I haven't averaged any rifle's groups since I realized that truth some 30+ years ago.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autorotate View Post
Nice group Paul. I'd take three fliers in a row like that any day of the week!
Its good to see at least one positive minded response to this thread. The guy found a nice load and posted it with the background on how he got there.

Why all the negativity? Its sad, really.

Good job, by the way.

L_L
Old 11-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Silver Member

Just guessing here but I'll bet the no load development technique works a lot better in high end custom guns than it does in my factory rifles. One thing is for sure it seems to have been the ticket for Paul. Nice shooting.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Gold Member

Nice group. Looks like you are off to a good start. I followed Kirby's procedure for my new Remington Sendero 300 win mag. It got me surprisingly close in a relative short period of time. My groups aren't quite as tight as your picture but close. Right now I'm working up some loads to tweak it a little more.
Maybe the bitter responses are that some of the mystery has been taken away.
My thoughts - use what works for you.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:22 AM
Platinum Member

The odds that three consecutive shots that land close together are "Fliers" is less than 2%. Conversely the odds that the group is meaning full (i.e that there are causative factors such as correct powder and good bullet) is 98%.

It is erroneous to believe that the exact group size is repetitive but it is likely that the size will be similar.

Same rifle, same load different days. 130 grain HP RBBT Wildcat bulllet.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:32 AM
Bronze Member

So with this method you would take a load manual like Nosler and choose the powder they say is the most accurate tested, start at the top load range and work up in .5 increments?
Old 01-02-2010, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member

i don't think you should start at the top load range. Start at the min or mid load range but not the top...