Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Killed my die

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2011, 05:23 PM
Silver Member

Killed my die

I was sizing my brass and I got a piece stuck in the die. I was using Gibbs lube. While trying to force it out, I destroyed the bottom of the brass ripping it through the shell holder. I took the die apart, but couldn't get the brass out, even using a hammer and pliers.

I lubed the body and the neck, but not the shoulder. Wrong lube? Lyman die bad? Bad brass?

HELP!
Old 06-23-2011, 06:17 PM
Gold Member

Re: Killed my die

"Killed my die"
Say a few choice words over it, take it out in the back yard, bury it and order a new one!

OH, and this time order some Imperial Sizing Wax along with the new die.

Been there done that.
Dave
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)
Old 06-23-2011, 06:27 PM
Gold Member

try this: Put the die in a vise, use wood or something between the jaws and the die so you don't damage the threads. Drill out the primer pocket then thread it with the corresponding tap. Find a short pipe, cut like 1 1/2" off so that the short piece will sit over the die but not touch the case head. Take a bolt that fits the threads you just cut into the stuck case, put a washer on it so you can drop it in the short piece of pipe and thread in into the case, as you tighten the bolt it will snug up the washer to the short pipe and slowly pull the case from the die. Sorry if its kinda confusing, but this is the best way i could describe it.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:53 PM
Gold Member

I agree with the above post. I did the same thing with my die back about six months ago or so. Instead of using a piece of pipe as mentioned above, you can easily use a proper sized socket as a spacer. It will pull the case out easier than you could ever imagine. Good luck. PM me if you need a more clear explanation. You are not in as much trouble as you think. It will just require taping the primer pocket and threading a stud in there.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:20 PM
Silver Member

I'll give the above instructions a try. What was the culprit? The brass was once fired, but didn't show signs of pressure, and it was cleaned using the stainless steel pin method. The die was bought used, but looked ok. I want to say it was the lube, but I didn't have any problems until it seized up.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3fingervic View Post
I'll give the above instructions a try. What was the culprit? The brass was once fired, but didn't show signs of pressure, and it was cleaned using the stainless steel pin method. The die was bought used, but looked ok. I want to say it was the lube, but I didn't have any problems until it seized up.
Well, in my case, it was the lube. I was using the Lyman sizing lube. I had put it on the lube pad and rolled the brass around on it. Since my little problem I have started using Imperial Sizing Wax. This stuff works great. I would also recommend this: if you have a case get a little stiff on the downstroke of the ram, then don't force it, instead work it up and down until you get the arm all the way.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Gold Member

RCBS and I'm sure others sell a , " stuck case remover " for about $15 . it works as the guys above describe using the socket or pipe trick . usually a stuck case is a lube problem . Jim