Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Keep ammo warm?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 02:22 PM
Gold Member

Keep ammo warm?

Hi all.

So, igot my,ax load figured out when the weather got to 50* out. I want to do some more testing. I am using IMR 4895, which I've had some promising results with. The weather is going to be colder. I was wondering if anyone had some tips for keeping my loads warm when I'm at the range. I fave 25 loaded rounds.

Thanks
Old 03-31-2013, 10:02 PM
Silver Member

Re: Keep ammo warm?

Hello fellow northlander,
Why not test it every temp?...I have been shooting and testing all winter (those -10 degree days weren't much fun).....I chrono and log everything while testing and some interesting results can be compiled from it....Warm and hot ammunition can be much more erratic than ice cold stuff...Never leave your ammo sit in the sun and you will also see larger ES and SD when you take too much time with your shot and the round sits in your chamber longer than the rest of the group or lot...
Do you ever get up to the Hibbing Range?....We have 100 thru 600 yards...There also is a 750 or so but as of last summer needed brushing to see it....Nice benches too..You should join up only $30 bucks a year and you should be an NRA member....I have the info if you are interested..
Good shooting,
Randy
Old 03-31-2013, 11:36 PM
Gold Member

Re: Keep ammo warm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNbogboy View Post
Hello fellow northlander,
Why not test it every temp?...I have been shooting and testing all winter (those -10 degree days weren't much fun).....I chrono and log everything while testing and some interesting results can be compiled from it....Warm and hot ammunition can be much more erratic than ice cold stuff...Never leave your ammo sit in the sun and you will also see larger ES and SD when you take too much time with your shot and the round sits in your chamber longer than the rest of the group or lot...
Do you ever get up to the Hibbing Range?....We have 100 thru 600 yards...There also is a 750 or so but as of last summer needed brushing to see it....Nice benches too..You should join up only $30 bucks a year and you should be an NRA member....I have the info if you are interested..
Good shooting,
Randy
Good point on the shooting in all temps...will probably hit the range tomorrow (monday) and see how things o in 30 degree weather. just in a hurry, have a match in 3 weeks, and with a new rifle/component combination, I get antsy...LOL...looks like this will just give me more excuses to go shoot
Hibbings about an hour drive, but it might be good to get a membership at another range, just moved up here last August...the local one here goes out to 500 with "plans" to go to 600, get me the info, I'm interested.