Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Just for my hero Kirby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2009, 05:54 PM
Bronze Member

Just for my hero Kirby

ok i have a bit of a rant it seems all these bench racers on here cant pony up real advice, it seems you have always answered my questions unbiased and truthfully, the question is about the 7mm ultra mag and your 7mm AM, i would like to build a new ultra with a 28" tube to shoot the 168gr bergers or wildcats when or if they become available again this would be my muley/light game rifle, what velos should i expect with this weight bullet and and bbl length? it should be suitable for light deer muley and under to 900yds right? i know shot placement is critical at any range. ok for question #2 your 7mm mag and 200gr's in a similar 28" bbl gun what twist would i need for 200gr wildcats? what velo should i expect from that combo to i have seen some posts of yours but do not recall all that good info and i will go straight to the horse on his on stuff. any help would be appreciated, also do you have formed brass available for the allen mags? i know the 7 is based off a 338 lapua and is shortened, as you know when hunting out of country it helps greatly to have matching headstamps and bbl markings.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Silver Member

Re: Just for my hero Kirby

?? Why come to a web site and post a question to one person??
Even if he is your "HERO"
Thats what email and PM's are for!
Or maybe you could just call him, just think you would be talking to your hero one on one.

Anyways just seemed odd!
Your missing out on lot's of info.
good luck with your questions.

Cam
Old 05-23-2009, 07:52 PM
Bronze Member

to cam obviously you dont know how hard it is to get him on the phone or that this is just about the fastest way to interact with kirby, but look at the ratios of people that actually respond to a thread and you will see what i am talking about, i have had good info passed on to me by others but when asking about something so specific as bullet velo from a mans line of cartridges wouldnt it be best to get the answers from that man himself? i have done this with jarrett,lazzeroni, and others so why does it seem odd to go right to the source?
Old 05-23-2009, 08:09 PM
Silver Member

All good points I guess.
just seems like an email would be more direct.
I don't care what or who you post to, just seemed odd to me.
When I'm extra busy I check my email but, don't surf the net.
My mistake to assume other people are like me.
Look on the bright side, I bumped your post!

Take care
Cam
Old 05-23-2009, 08:45 PM
Bronze Member

true i know what it is like to be super busy and do the same i have mailed him directly and it has taken a week or so and posted and it been a day or two, anyway i am sorry if you felt i was being defensive or snippy i know my direct and blunt nature makes me come off as an ass sometimes.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown9124 View Post
ok i have a bit of a rant it seems all these bench racers on here cant pony up real advice, .

That's kinda rude, If you want to ask someone in particular a question... fine. If you want to belittle the rest of the crowd, use a PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:04 AM
Gold Member

OK, a couple answers, kinda

I have one of kirbys 7mm AM's, It runs 200's at 3250-3300 fps, its a 9 twist 30" lilja and shoots them quite well from the limited testing I did the first year after I got the rifle.

Now about the cases, the 7mm AM isn't a shortrened 338 LM, just necked down and imprroved.
its much better, stronger brass than you can get in the RUM.

you can form them yourself, or kirby can form them for you.

Why are you wanting to use the 200 WC's for muley's to 900 yards? though they are great bullets, where they excel is on elk and deer beyond 1K.
Personaly I shoot accubonds, 160's and have taken whitetails with them to 1350 yards, though my load is running out of steam fast at that range it still retains just under 1000 ft/lbs of energy at that range. I'm needing a new load and thinking about the 180 bergers but due to my daughters medical condition I've put most of my projects on hold until the funds allow it.
So I'll be loaded with the accubonds again this fall and plan on taking the 20th deer with this rifle the first day or so of the 4rth season since it was built.

the headstamp may say 338LM, but I firmly believe that if you get kirby to build you a 7mmAM, you'll be extremely pleased with the results you get. My 7mm AM is the most accurate, least temperamental rifle I've ever dealt with, it shoots anything very well. Hope this helps answer your ?'s.
RR