Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

just as expected can't shoot berger vld

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 06:44 AM
Gold Member

Re: just as expected can't shoot berger vld

I would recommend the 87 grn VLD or the 95 grn classic hunter. They are both rated for a 1:9 twist
Old 03-21-2013, 06:48 AM
Banned

I called ruger. And that's what he said 1978 1-9 twist..
Old 03-21-2013, 07:43 AM
Platinum Member

"When all else fail, read the instructions"

What did you expect would happen to a bullet that was rotating too slow to stabilize ? Long bullets are inherently less stable than shorter ones. The center of pressure is ahead of the center of gravity. Turn them too slow and they will tumble for sure.

Hopefully you learn from your mistakes and don't repeat this exercise on every caliber you own... The laws of physics do not care about the interests of any man.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member

Adjusting seating depth and load will not stabilize a bullet that is going crazy so early, velocity is only going to help in the cases where the bullet starts tumbling later in the flight path but start out stable.
I would run a tight patch down the barrel and verify the twist rate and not take someones word for it, at very low elevation I can see the 105 maybe not being stable but the 95 should be at sea level with a 1-9.
The twist rate calculator at the Berger website works well, I can shoot bullets with quite a bit less twist because I'm at 6000ft and they stabilize much better up here so a guy should check his own specific twist rate needs at his elevation.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 03-21-2013, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member

He has not tried the 95's yet. He should be fine with them, even if they are close to the edge, they will not be tumbling... But 105's are not going to work in a 9 twist since there is no way he could get enough powder in the chamber. On top of that I believe he has a 22" barrel too.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:27 PM
Banned

Yup, 22" barrel, adjusted my seating depth on remaining loads around 20 bullets left.. Not expecting anything good but since am new to reading about a month into it. It won't hurt learning about how rifling works
Old 03-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom2live View Post
Reloaded a bunch of berger 243 105 gr in various powder loads form minimum to max... Every single bullet tumbled to the target .. I ll say rifle twist will always stabilize a bullet, may shoot eradic but not tumble... I mean if I wanted to relive Vietnam than tumbling bullets are it.. Than I loaded 80 psp and shot .25 moa, should I even try lower weight vlds .. Twist is 1-9, also I believe its wasting my time and money shooting anything heavier than 90 gr.. Just not enough powder powder to push a heavy bullet in 243.. Any recent experience ??

SHAPE of the bullet is whats killing you...i.e. bearing surface inside the barrel. Change bullets before you change anything else.

My 243 holds good groups and I dont shoot Berger VLD's AT ALL.