Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

JLC precision

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2005, 08:31 AM
Silver Member

Re: JLC precision

I too like the Stoney Point H&S gauge,
now I bump my shoulders .001-.002 instead of ~.010-.011

Barrel stub cut with the reamer would sure be nice too, but Remington hasn't been throwing that in recently for me, maybe I offended them or something.

abinok, I sent you an email, sometimes hotmail puts my address into the spam box, so if you could look out for it I'd appreciate it (cdr165@psu.edu).

Good day and merry Christmas to all,
Carl
Old 12-23-2005, 08:56 AM
Platinum Member

Jim and AB -- i agree...dont like the "feel" method either.

JB
Old 12-23-2005, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member

I bought the SP guage and didn't care for it. I noticed a bit of "play" sometimes on the brass and it wasn't set in the bushing completely concentric 100% of the time. Now and then I noticed it seemed off center, so I sent it back to Sinclair and got the RCBS Prec. Mic.

Yet they cost about $33 each. I have found them to be more user friendly and more accurate for me, and certainly more consistent.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:05 PM
Gold Member

No problem, to each his own. I must admit I too have a drawer full of mics, calipers, custom tools and measureing devices and have used them for years. But I have found when loading for a full blown custom rifle, like Chris Matthews builds, and setting the FL die to the chamber, I don't need to rely on measurement. Besides, when you get down to .001-.0001 most common loading tool measurements will be inconsistant anyway unless you true your cases and all dimensions are the same.
I guess feel is a subjective thing. The more you do it, the better you develope it. I would also recommend you not set your shoulder back every reloading. If you have a custom chamber and a custom die then I would think setting back would defeat the cost of having such a quality piece. But then again, tinkering is half the fun of shooting, isn't it.
Haved a blessed holiday.
db
Old 12-23-2005, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member

Db,

I am in agreement with you on all you said. Reckon I did'nt want to develop that " feel " and don't trust myself to properly interpret the results if I try.

With a custom rig like Chris Matthews builds I don't feel like I have to ( nor do I ) set the shoulder back after every firing . The 300 winnie he built for me is now on the 4th firing of a big lot of Lapua brass that is no more difficult to close the bolt than when I first begun. I have yet to use any other die on this brass than the Lee collet neck die ! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] TIR is still under 2 thou on all cases and under 1 thou on 90% of them.

Thanks Db for your thoughts , they are much appreciated !

May your celebration of the creators birth be a joyful and blessed one .

Jim Brown
Old 12-24-2005, 11:00 AM
Bronze Member

I am new to reloading and would like to know if this method would work with an rcbs full length die for setting the shoulder back the 0.001"? Also I've been reading where some people remove the expander from the die so it does not cause excessive run out to the neck and would that then rquire turning the neck down some to keep the tension on the bullet where it needs to be? Thanks
Old 12-24-2005, 11:46 AM
Gold Member

You can set the shoulder back with a FL die, but you might consider a Redding Body Die. You can also adjust the shoulder and leave the neck alone by removing the button if you have a FL Bushing die.
I personally don't care for expanders, too much potential for problems. I vary neck tension by the size of the button.
If you want more information on these styles of dies you can visit their web site or go to www.sinclairintl.com.
Hope this helps.
db