Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

JLC precision

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2005, 09:45 AM
Platinum Member

JLC precision

Hello all,

I have a full length die converted to bushing style by Jim Carstenson . What is the best way to set this die up for minimal ( .001 ) setback of the shoulder ?

Thanks , Jim
Old 12-21-2005, 10:38 AM
Gold Member

Re: JLC precision

With a stony point headspace gauge, and careful small incrimental rotations of the die in the press.
I posted this a few days ago elsewhere...
on a 7/8x14 die adjusting it down will get you...
1 turn .0714"
1/2 turn .0356"
1/4 turn .0178"
1/8 turn .0089"
1/16 turn .0044"
1/32 turn .0022"
1/64 turn .0011"

1 thousandth is possible... but be very careful in adjusting when you get close... also, be very dilligent in lubing, or uneven lubrication will make it impossible to hold .001 of bump.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:49 AM
Platinum Member

Hey Adam !

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of getting a Redding instant indicator. Would this work as well as the stoney point ?Also , what about a RCBS precision mic ?
Old 12-21-2005, 11:23 AM
Gold Member

Yep, the instant indicator works, but its restricted to fewer cases than the stony point version. The precision mic also works well... and it does oal measurements to the ogive as well. Again, the limitation is thats its more limited than the SP tools. Just different ways to skin the proverbial cat.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:41 PM
Gold Member

Last FL button die I bought from Jim included his recommendation to set the die by pulling the firing pin and caming the bolt down on a resized fired case. When you notice slight resistance when the bolt is almost closed, you're there. The die can be adjusted according to caming effort. You can measure from the shoulder datum with your tools, but it really isn't necessary.
db
Old 12-22-2005, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

DB

Exactly what he told me , and good advice I'm sure. Just one thing though , how much is " slight resistance " [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I would really like a more readily reproducible measurement ? When you say that it is " not really necessary", I have to ask why not ?

DB , I am not a high volume shooter and I am not involved in matches and I am not trying to pick a fight [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] However, this aspect should be given no less scrutiny .

I don't think I am alone in this , but if so, so be it .What I want to know is what is the best way to quantify these measurements as best I can.

As always , I thank each and everyone for there input on this .I am the dumb one here as I doing all the questioning [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Jim
Old 12-22-2005, 11:27 PM
Gold Member

I too hate the uncertanty of just tight enough...
Loose primer pockets.... HOW LOOSE IS LOOSE????
and on and on...
I like to measure, because it takes most of the subjectiveness out of the equation. There are sooo many things that you can measure these days that you used to have to make subjective decisions on... bullet seating force, primer seating depth and pressure, even case head seperations!
I like #s
I tried the "close with slight pressure" thing for a while, and on some, it worked great, my old 243 for instance, but I found that I could get more consistant results with my calipers, than detecting the pressure required to turn my (un sprung) bolt with my finger.
A lot of guys use that method, including the guy who built your die, so at any point feel free to plug your ears and run away Jim [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Just what this country boy has found to work, and thats it.
Oh, it should be noted that the really trick setup is to have your smith short chamber a barrel stub with your reamer so you can use the shoulder cut into your chamber, together with calipers to get your #. Ive only got 2 of these, and they aren't even for my guns! but they work well.
This isn't for Winnie is it im hopeing?