Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

I've Got The Bullet Seating Blues....**Update 7/30**

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: I've Got The Bullet Seating Blues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
Well after some input from you gents and several email back & forth with Redding customer service (very helpful), I have a micrometer style seating die on order from MidwayUSA. $35 isn't too bad plus it will look cool, should provide the extra reach & is designed for VLD style ogives. I think it will work wonderfully with the CEB's I intend to launch.

Stay tuned for an update & thanks for your help.

You'll like it
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 07-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: I've Got The Bullet Seating Blues....**Update**

As per recommendations made by Redding Customer Service I ordered & received a Micrometer VLD bullet seating plug. It doesn't work either... I'm starting to think I have the wrong one but I'm waiting to hear back from Redding. As you will see in the attached pic, the stem has stepped diameters, one where the actual bullet seating takes place & a larger diameter above that (where you see the end of the pen). This larger diameter comes into contact with the body of the die where you seating stem protrudes in to the "chamber" of the die. I now have even less adjustment than I had before lol

We'll see what Redding says I guess; can the die be modified to function correctly? Or ? What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
I've Got The Bullet Seating Blues....**Update 7/30**-seater-plug.jpg  

Old 07-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Platinum Member

Re: I've Got The Bullet Seating Blues....**Update 7/30**

As alluded to, I also wonder if the seaters are for 26cal, and if the die is for a 270WSM, or another.
Look at your invoices again, just in case