Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

IMR, FWIW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2007, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

IMR, FWIW

Tested three clients guns in my last range session and had some interesting results.

First gun was a 25 wssm and I tried my control lot of IMR 4064 that I've had for about 5 years and found a great load. Then I tested it again with a brand new lot in Hodgdon bottle. The original load was with the control lot was x velocity and had a standard deviation of 5. The new lot was tested half grain below, equal, and half grain above to re-tune the sweet spot. The gun liked the exact same charge, had the exact same standard deviation, and the average velocity was 6 fps slower than the control. Very good in other words.

Then I try a control lot of IMR 4350 that is about 10 years old in a 270 wsm and it yeilds x velocity with an sd of 4. Then the customers lot is tried which is an 8 pound jug and also is in the newer bottles. It gives two feet per second more speed than the control, has an sd of 5 and shoots same size group. Very nice!

Then I try another customers gun in another 270 wsm and it favored RL19. My control lot was about 4 years old and gave x velocity with a standard deviation of 7. The new 5lb jug of current manufacture gives 48 fps more velo and prefers 1 grain less powder to regain the same velos and has an sd of 9. In other words, if getting a new lot of IMR, seems they are doing just fine since Hodgdon took them over. Alliant still has lot to lot consistency problems they require different loads if switching lots. It still shoots good, but dang, these guys need to do something that Hodgdon/IMR have already figured out! I'm about ready to dig up some serious quantities of Norma powder to get the Alliant accuracy without the Alliant problems!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Silver Member

Re: IMR, FWIW

I have not been happy with RL for the past couple of years now. There are just better powders out there for the reasons you stated. I've been phasing out all my RL powder and going to other brands such as Ramshot and VN along with IMR/Hog
Old 03-12-2007, 03:25 PM
SPONSOR

Hodgdon all the way!!! its all i shoot anymore, unless i can use WC872, cant beat the price!!!!
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 03-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Platinum Member

I have been using IMR 4064 in my 17 Rem since about 1973. It does not give me the speed that some other powders might, but the factory stock rifle seemed to have liked it way back when and still shoots the same size groups with it- mostly MOC (minute of crow).

Old 03-12-2007, 08:37 PM
Silver Member

I burned more IMR than any other powder. It seems like they're not as temperature sensitive as some other brand. It's my go to powder when I'm developing load for a new rifle. I hope Hodgdon will keep them that way. RJ
Old 03-13-2007, 01:43 PM
Silver Member

Hey GG,

If you should happen to find some Noma MRP, let us know where you get it. I have one can left that I am saving only for loading my .300Wby, as it seems to be the best powder for that rifle.
Used to be sold thru Graf & Sons.
I have heard that Black Hills was supposed to sell Norma powder, but have not seen it available yet.

Anybody else no anything about where to obtain Norma Powder?

Regards,
Vic
Old 03-13-2007, 02:18 PM
Silver Member

Powder Valley just started carrying Norma powders. You may want to try them. They list MRP as being in stock and have about the best prices for powder in general that I've found.