Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

I'm stumped!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2005, 01:56 PM
Silver Member

I\'m not stumped

Arthurj,
What you're dealing with here is a problem with case width, not headspace (length). The Wilson case gauge is an excellent tool to use for measuring case headspace, but it doesn't check to see if a case is too wide. To verify this, measure your cases just above the web. Then measure a new case and compare them. Don't shave anything off your die, because that will create another problem.

- Innovative
Old 04-04-2005, 02:36 PM
Silver Member

Re: I\'m not stumped

An unfired case width and a twice fired width only differed by .002. So are you saying that the die is squeezing the body in which is in turn extending my headspace? How would shaving some of the die off not fix this problem? What is the solution to this problem? Thanks a lot
Old 04-04-2005, 03:11 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
An unfired case width and a twice fired width only differed by .002. So are you saying that the die is squeezing the body in which is in turn extending my headspace? How would shaving some of the die off not fix this problem? What is the solution to this problem? Thanks a lot

[/ QUOTE ] I sure am until I hear the answers to the questions I posted. This sounds like you have a couple of dies that can not push the shoulder back! These body dies are they able to push the shoulder back? How are they different than a full length sizer?
Old 04-04-2005, 03:47 PM
Platinum Member

A competition shellholder set or shaving .010" of the mouth of the die will more than likely solve the problem. If the die is not bumping the shoulder back "measurably" with it hard against the shellholder, it is not able to do part of its job. Shaving .010 off will certainly not hurt anything either, unless you are already capable of bumping the shoulder back a substantial amount, which does not seem the case here. Chances are it is just coming in contact with the shoulder or pressing on it slightly, just not enough to move it far enough so it overcomes the springback quality of the brass. They (Redding) are usually not off by that much and .010 will probably work fine. Take .010 off a shellholder if you think it's the base dia. that may be too tight. Smoke the case up good over a candle and chamber it to see where it's tight.

Generally bolt lift will be steadily hard and on the extraction cam it will pop right open if it a is tight compressed fit zero headspace condition. If rotating the bolt up just the extraction cam is very stiff, having difficulties extracting the case, the base is tight. Keep in mind, headspace could also be tight in this condition but difficult extraction points to a tight base, lack of it does not.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:04 PM
Bronze Member

why not smoke a case chamber it and see where it is binding in the chamber athen start from that?
Old 04-04-2005, 07:30 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you new to handloading? How (exactly) did you come up with a twice fired case? Does that case belong to someone else? Can you see (at least some) partial neck resizing? Did you trim the necks to length? Did you outside neck trim? Can you feel the expander ball, on the upstroke? Downstroke? What is your overall length? It's possible the headspace gauge is confusing you. What is the mfg. & width of your shell holder?

Good hunting. LB
Old 04-04-2005, 09:20 PM
Silver Member

Sorry guys, I had a meeting after work and didn't get home until late. I will smoke the case in the morning to check where it is contacting the chamber. I'm also going to call redding to see what they can do, have them trim the die down if it needs it. From everyone's input it seems that's my problem. Whether the die is touching the shoulder or not, it surely isn't bumping it back at all. I have only been handloading for a year, but I can feel the expander, upstroke, downstroke, etc. Everythings trimmed right, and even if the problem were the guage, the shell should chamber easier than it does. If you could feel how hard it is to close the bolt, you would know something was wrong!