Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

I'm stumped!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2005, 07:59 PM
Silver Member

I\'m stumped!

Hey guys, I posted a week ago about my sizing die. I wasn't getting enough shoulder bump from my redding body die. The caliber is 308. I must be doing something wrong, I have the wilson drop in headspace gauge. I put the bottom of the caliper on the neck end of the gauge and the other end of the caliper on the head of the shell. My measurement after two firings is 2.008. When I run the shell as far into the die as it will go, I get the same headspace measurement afterwards and when I try to chamber the shell the bolt is very hard to close. I thought of having some of the die shaved off but instead I replaced it, getting the same result. Could my chamber be short, or what am I doing wrong? It's just a factory rem vsf Thanks in advance
Old 04-04-2005, 11:02 AM
Silver Member

Re: I\'m stumped!

[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys, I posted a week ago about my sizing die. I wasn't getting enough shoulder bump from my redding body die. The caliber is 308. I must be doing something wrong, I have the wilson drop in headspace gauge. I put the bottom of the caliper on the neck end of the gauge and the other end of the caliper on the head of the shell. My measurement after two firings is 2.008. When I run the shell as far into the die as it will go, I get the same headspace measurement afterwards and when I try to chamber the shell the bolt is very hard to close. I thought of having some of the die shaved off but instead I replaced it, getting the same result. Could my chamber be short, or what am I doing wrong? It's just a factory rem vsf Thanks in advance

[/ QUOTE ] So, let me get this straight. If you wipe the case off and drop it in the Wilson headspace guage is it above or below the top of the measuring tool? Or does it drop below the top of the tool? Does it drop below the recess? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-04-2005, 11:29 AM
Silver Member

It is still above the upper level of the guage. Once fired is in between the steps as it should be, then after 2 firings it is above the top of the guage. After sizing it is still above.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:51 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
It is still above the upper level of the guage. Once fired is in between the steps as it should be, then after 2 firings it is above the top of the guage. After sizing it is still above.

[/ QUOTE ] From your first post you said that you are using a body die. Does this die have a shoulder inside the die body? Do you have a regular full length sizer die?
Old 04-04-2005, 11:56 AM
Silver Member

Oh, I forgot to add that the Wilson gauge is made to be used to set your sizing die with. that means that you have to size the case to use the die. I reread your post and I missed that the first time around. Sorry.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:55 PM
Bronze Member

Had the same thing happen couple years ago. Called Redding and sent it in with 3-4 once fired cases. Got it back and was still the same. Had a buddy take 20 thousandths off the base and its good to go.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:07 PM

Have you tried a different shell holder??? Yours may be to thick........I have one shellholder that is thicker than all the other shellholders I have and it causes the problem you are describing......the die can't size the case enough before it bottoms on the shellholder.........