Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

I'm considering Polishing the Inside kneck of my 7mm brass.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 03:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: I'm considering Polishing the Inside kneck of my 7mm brass.

No, b/c the insides are also wet. The wetness will cause the media to stick to the insides of the brass and it won't move around to clean it it will just stick to the sides of it and cake up.

The brass has to be thoroughly dry before putting it in the tumbler.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
No, b/c the insides are also wet. The wetness will cause the media to stick to the insides of the brass and it won't move around to clean it it will just stick to the sides of it and cake up.

The brass has to be thoroughly dry before putting it in the tumbler.
To put it more graphically, think of a cat turd in a litter box and what happens to the kitty litter close to the turd................
Old 06-25-2013, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
To put it more graphically, think of a FRESH cat turd in a litter box and what happens to the kitty litter close to the turd................
Even better visual....

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 06-25-2013, 04:13 PM
Platinum Member

In as much as my wife is a cat lover (I'm not but I do enjoy home cooked meals and clean sheets and sleeping in the garage isn't an option) we don't have 'Fresh' cat litter around here very long.

Was real thoughtful of my wife to put the mega litter box next to my personal bathroom.

I can't put down my real opinion of cats on here because my wife might read it so I have to be nice.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, I'm a large-breed dog guy.....Can't stand cats or dogs the size of cats that bark at everything agressively, yet they cowar in fear and start shaking when you stomp your foot at them.

Quote:
Old 06-25-2013, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall View Post
I am considering using some brass polish compound and spin something on the inside of the brass to create a smooth polished surface. Does any body know how this might effect the accuracy and other performance of a load?
This is a bad move. Polishing the inside of your necks will only serve to increase seating forces, which will lead to increased seating depth variance, and this can hurt accuracy.

Quote:
I tumble all my brass and add polishing compound but the inside doesn't seem to look all that shiny and smooth.
Are you entering your brass in a 'shiny insides contest'?

Quote:
It would seem to me that having a polished and smooth surface for the bullet to exit from would help the bullet to exit more smother and be more accurate.
NOPE. Won't change a thing there.

You can shoot as well as top competitors with a quick brush through necks & a swipe of primer pockets & a cycle through vibratory media -just like they do(if that much).
That thin carbon film in there? It's your friend. It reduces friction and very consistently normalizes seating forces.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

If you use wet media like STI in a rotary tumbler, the inside gets as clean as the outside. I just happen to use stainless steel balls myself. I dry my brass in the wife's dehydrator. Takes about 30 minutes.

I always start out with cob in a vibrator prior to anything to get the crap off because I'm addicted to Federal OFMB and those military cases are always filthy.

Iv'e heard good and bad about ultrasonic cleaning. I might 'borrow' my wife's jewelery cleaner for a test run with Lemshine and liquid dish detergent.