Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

I'm considering Polishing the Inside kneck of my 7mm brass.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 01:51 PM
Bronze Member

I'm considering Polishing the Inside kneck of my 7mm brass.

Has any body ever tried polishing the inside neck of there brass? I am considering using some brass polish compound and spin something on the inside of the brass to create a smooth polished surface. Does any body know how this might effect the accuracy and other performance of a load?

I tumble all my brass and add polishing compound but the inside doesn't seem to look all that shiny and smooth. It would seem to me that having a polished and smooth surface for the bullet to exit from would help the bullet to exit more smother and be more accurate.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: I'm considering Polishing the Inside kneck of my 7mm brass.

I would naturally assume it would be smoother for the bullet to let go, but then again, some bullets need to have that neck-tension to build up the proper pressures to gain the velocity you desire.

So, I think it could be a gain, or be a loss, and might be a coin flip to see which one it was....Never heard of anyone doing it before.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:14 PM

I don't think I would bother with it. Seems like a lot of work for little or no gain. I've never heard of anybody doing it. So it's likely it's not worth it.
Over thinking a non-existent problem.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:31 PM
Gold Member

You would be better off using an ultra sonic cleaner. Clean shinny brass without all the wasted effort. JMO

Old 06-25-2013, 02:42 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick523 View Post
You would be better off using an ultra sonic cleaner. Clean shinny brass without all the wasted effort. JMO
I acutally bought one but then took it back because allot of people said even thought they use it they still put there brass thought the media tumbling.

Maybe when I have some extra money again I will go buy one again.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Platinum Member

Oh yeah, you still have to tumble them to get them shiny and bright and clean.

I use the Hornady L-n-L Magnum Sonic Cleaner and their sonic solution. Cleans them up really nicely when you run them for 1.5 hours at around 135*, however, you will still have to let them dry overnight, or put them in the oven on low heat to dry them out, then tumble them the next day. I always let mine dry overnight. Then I run them for about 10-12 hours in the tumbler, while I'm at work, so nobody gets agitated by the noise of the tumbler running full of brass. 12 hours tends to get my brass cleaner and shinier than they were new and gets ALOT of the caked-on powder residue and stuff knocked off the walls on the inside.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:09 PM
Bronze Member

Couldn't you just dry them off with a towel and then toss them in the media? The media would pull any moisture out anyway. I usually wash them off after putting them through the media because I don't like all the dust on them. I like to make sure there isn't any tiny media stuck on the inside. I usully get a few in the sink after washing them out. Then I dry them off on a towel and blow through them to push excess water out, then set them in a case holder to air dry for a few days before I prime them.