Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading


Reply

If I am using 80 grs. of 7828, where should I start with Retumbo ?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-19-2008, 11:47 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Kalifornicated
Posts: 338
If I am using 80 grs. of 7828, where should I start with Retumbo ?

I am using 80.0 of 7828 in my 300 WBY, at 3000 fps. The load is very accurate, an honest 1/4-1/3 MOA rifle at 300 yards if I do my job. The problem is the load is very hot in my rifle and when the temps climb into the 90 degree range my bolt gets sticky, hard on cases also. My load density is approx 95% with the 7828. I bought a pound of Retumbo and H1000. I figured I would give Retumbo a shot.

Since it is slower burning can I start at 79 grains of Retumbo and work up from there ?

Since the rifle likes the 3000 fps area for these bullets (Berger 210) is that the velocity I should shoot for with the other powders ? Is there a possibility Retumbo might get a little more velocity and not loose any accuracy.

I am going to try some Remington Brass instead of the Weatherby stuff.

Any tips ?

Thanks,

John
__________________
USMC Scout Sniper 88-94
Instructor 1st. Mar. Div. SS school 91-94
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-20-2008, 01:32 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Reno Nevada
Posts: 1,508
What don't you like about Weatherby brass?

reloadernest.com all your questions will be addressed there.According to new Sierra manual RE#25 is the powder you want. 84.8grs is max with 200 gr bullet for a MV of 3,100. Retumbos max is 85.7 for a MV of 3,000.
__________________
How does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but loses his soul?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-20-2008, 01:40 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Reno Nevada
Posts: 1,508
Link isn't working

Type it your self in your address bar. Reloader's Nest - a reloaders resource
__________________
How does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but loses his soul?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-20-2008, 09:48 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: OHIO
Posts: 2,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine sniper View Post

Since it is slower burning can I start at 79 grains of Retumbo and work up from there ?
Appears to be a good starting point but if your bullet is at or into the lands, 77 or 78 gr would be a little safer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine sniper View Post
Since the rifle likes the 3000 fps area for these bullets (Berger 210) is that the velocity I should shoot for with the other powders ? Is there a possibility Retumbo might get a little more velocity and not loose any accuracy.
3000 fps is of course a good goal, but the Retumbo may have different nodes at even higher velocities that produce equal accuracy. You just don't know until you try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine sniper View Post
Any tips ?

Thanks,

John
I always recommend new load development on warmer days if possible so you can find what top end powder charges will be with the bullet seated at or into the lands. Not sure why you want to go from Norma brass to Remington. Isn't that a step in the wrong direction?
__________________
Derek M.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-20-2008, 11:09 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Kalifornicated
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
Appears to be a good starting point but if your bullet is at or into the lands, 77 or 78 gr would be a little safer.



3000 fps is of course a good goal, but the Retumbo may have different nodes at even higher velocities that produce equal accuracy. You just don't know until you try it.



I always recommend new load development on warmer days if possible so you can find what top end powder charges will be with the bullet seated at or into the lands. Not sure why you want to go from Norma brass to Remington. Isn't that a step in the wrong direction?

Thanks, I have a bunch of Virgin Rem brass I was going to try. If it does not produce the results the Weatherby brass produced I will use it for my hunting loads (200 AB's)

These loads are .020 off the lands.
__________________
USMC Scout Sniper 88-94
Instructor 1st. Mar. Div. SS school 91-94
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-20-2008, 12:44 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 256
I've played with both 7828 and retumbo a bit in a wby factory riflle with freebore. It's my guess that all being the same you would wind up about 2.0-2.5 grains higher with retumbo. BUT being you are changing brass from wby to rem it's possible that your idea of starting at the same 80 grains is where you might wind up at max. Sooooo....I'd say the advise of starting down near 77-78 and working up is very sound.

BTW---retumbo shot really good with 200 ab's in my super fussy 300UL.....but 180 tsx's shot even better. Before retumbo rolled along I was about to rebarrel that gun. Now I have confidence in it. Also...retumbo has tested pretty good with temp swings for me but I haven't tried it in really hot weather....just 20 degrees to about 75 degrees.....no change in velocity.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-20-2008, 02:32 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Kalifornicated
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraky1 View Post
I've played with both 7828 and retumbo a bit in a wby factory riflle with freebore. It's my guess that all being the same you would wind up about 2.0-2.5 grains higher with retumbo. BUT being you are changing brass from wby to rem it's possible that your idea of starting at the same 80 grains is where you might wind up at max. Sooooo....I'd say the advise of starting down near 77-78 and working up is very sound.

BTW---retumbo shot really good with 200 ab's in my super fussy 300UL.....but 180 tsx's shot even better. Before retumbo rolled along I was about to rebarrel that gun. Now I have confidence in it. Also...retumbo has tested pretty good with temp swings for me but I haven't tried it in really hot weather....just 20 degrees to about 75 degrees.....no change in velocity.
I will load some in my Wby brass also, makes for a beter test. I went shooting yesterday and somehow got a peice of Rem brass mixed into my Wby brass, +60-70 fps.....did not show any pressure signs though.
__________________
USMC Scout Sniper 88-94
Instructor 1st. Mar. Div. SS school 91-94
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: If I am using 80 grs. of 7828, where should I start with Retumbo ?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re#22 or IMR 7828 Iron Worker Reloading 10 04-20-2009 09:00 PM
IMR 7828 in the 6mm AI? Tyler Kemp Reloading 4 03-18-2008 07:41 PM
IMR 7828 sc/.300 Win.mag. Jim Hundley Reloading 2 12-28-2006 05:25 PM
IMR 7828 in 338 RUM anybody? sambo3006 Reloading 3 10-04-2005 09:02 PM
7828-sc 270bdl Reloading 3 03-04-2005 03:37 PM

Current Poll
Are you on Facebook?
Yes - 46.38%
1,114 Vote
No - 19.53%
469 Votes
No, but I may join - 1.79%
43 Votes
No way, are you kidding? - 36.05%
866 Votes
Total Votes: 2,402
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC