Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

I think I killed my .243

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 10:47 PM
Gold Member

Re: I think I killed my .243

I agree with mach V. In my experience, I dont get very good accuracy with my loads near max. I would make sure the bolt face has no raised metal and try again working up like you did with the other load combinations.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bushman View Post
I agree with mach V. In my experience, I dont get very good accuracy with my loads near max. I would make sure the bolt face has no raised metal and try again working up like you did with the other load combinations.
As I said, I've tried three powders and at least seven different bullets, and I have never seen accuracy near MOA until I've gotten close to max loads.

Thanks God, there is no raised metal on the bolt face. Hopefully I'll be able to make that stringing go away yet...
Old 02-23-2013, 11:07 AM
Silver Member

I would clean the barrel well then put a tight fitting patch in and feel the barrel for loose and tight spots. If you don't feel anything weird try a load that was previously accurate(varget,4350).

I picked up a 7 mag cheap that had a barrel bulge right at the end from a hot load. Otherwise it checked out ok. My buddy cut off the barrel behind the bulge and it became a sub-moa shooter. I don't know how it shot for the guy that owned it before but it shoots well now after removing the bulge(about 1 1/4" off the end).
Old 02-23-2013, 11:10 AM
Gold Member

I understand. Is there any way your accuracy problems could stem from another issue, not related to the cartridge. Maybe loose bolts on the stock, or barrel fouling.

Also do you have any proven loads that are loaded in once fired brass that you can test the rifle with?
Old 02-23-2013, 06:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskShooter View Post
I know, I'm a dumbass. I have already tried loads with Varget and Benchmark (starting at the bottom, and working up slowly), and at least 7 different bullets. Every time, I could not get any accuracy until I was near maximum, so I ASSumed I'd be safe with a grain below max, as I had never had any signs of excess pressure before.
That is strange. But my 7mm is like that. Except with tha Hornady rd nose 154 gr. They shoot 1.5 in at 100 yds with all loads. these are my "Bush Hogs" for hunting in heavy cover.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:38 PM
Silver Member

I'll be testing out a few more things yet. I already disassembled and reassembled to make sure everything was tight, bedding looks good, so I'll give it a try with one of my proven loads- 70 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip over 40 grains of Varget.