Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

I need some help with Redding Dies.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Gold Member

Re: I need some help with Redding Dies.....

Okay, so your FL dies creates runout but you are having good luck with the Lee Collet.

My suggestion would be to get a Redding Body Die in 300 win mag

Redding Body Die 300 Winchester Magnum - MidwayUSA

You can adjust the body die to size the cases back to where they will fit in any rifle, just like a FL die. They do not size the necks. Use your Lee Collet to get the good concentricity you got with your rifle on all the other rifles, then adjust the Redding Body Die as needed to make the cases fit as needed.

IMO bushing dies do work best when coupled with outside neck turning. Save the money on the outside neck turning and you will be way ahead by spending $24.00 on a Redding Body Die.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods View Post
Okay, so your FL dies creates runout but you are having good luck with the Lee Collet.

My suggestion would be to get a Redding Body Die in 300 win mag

Redding Body Die 300 Winchester Magnum - MidwayUSA

You can adjust the body die to size the cases back to where they will fit in any rifle, just like a FL die. They do not size the necks. Use your Lee Collet to get the good concentricity you got with your rifle on all the other rifles, then adjust the Redding Body Die as needed to make the cases fit as needed.

IMO bushing dies do work best when coupled with outside neck turning. Save the money on the outside neck turning and you will be way ahead by spending $24.00 on a Redding Body Die.
OK, but how do i fix the brass that now has runout issues? I have run them back through the collet die(ran it into the die rotated 180 and ran it back through but this did not correct the problem)?
Old 12-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Silver Member

woods, don't bail on me now...how do i fix the runout issues that were caused by the lee fl die?
Old 12-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtownBcat View Post
...how do i fix the runout issues that were caused by the lee fl die?
Has your new Redding Type-S FL sizer arrived? You may have a situation that your body die won't correct.

Last edited by Winchester 69; 12-08-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:59 PM
Silver Member

no,im hopeing tomorrow....
Old 12-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
woods, don't bail on me now...how do i fix the runout issues that were caused by the lee fl die?
Shoot them and use the Lee Collet & Redding Body Die the next time.

Or you can buy a Bersin Tool like I have with which you can push them back in line

a little expensive for just one problem.

Hornady also makes a new concentricity gauge where you can push the bullet and reduce runout

they are so new that they are hard to come by. Barsness talks about drilling holes in a 2x4, inserting the bullet and pushing on it. I have pushed necks by using the next largest collet bullet puller and inserting the whole neck up in it and pushing the case body (trial and error but it does work).

No easy answer.

Last edited by woods; 12-08-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
OK, but how do i fix the brass that now has runout issues? I have run them back through the collet die(ran it into the die rotated 180 and ran it back through but this did not correct the problem)?
It sounds like you are getting a Redding Type S Bushing FL die... If so, I highly recommend turning your necks. Some say this is not necessary, but it surely can not hurt and certainly contributes to consistancy which is what handloading is all about. I agree that some brass may need to be culled out, but I think it pays to turn necks if you are going to bushing size and there are a lot of very experienced handloaders who would agree.

That being said, I turn my necks on an RCBS Trimpro. I would think the process of running the reamer into the neck would help get it concentric, at least on the Trimpro. After turning your necks, size them with the bushing die. This should get them very close. The Redding bushing die should get them very close regardless of neck turning.

Maybe someone else has an idea of to get your necks straight again and hopefully they will chime if they do know. But I think the Redding die should get your necks back to straight.

Hope that helps and let us know what you do and how it turns out.

Mark