Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

I need help reloading my 243. First time ever reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Silver Member

Re: I need help reloading my 243. First time ever reloading

I've tried many loads in my custom .243. Keep in mind that it is set up for varminting and to shoot 70gr Noslers. The powders that have amazed me are -

Varget
H414
Superformance

Varget being the best when loaded at 39.0 grains. The load has been stable over every season (temp). The average group at 100 yards is .358 over the last two shooting sessions.

AR's for coyotes
25-06 M70 for coyotes
6.5-06 Remington Custom w/Leupold Mark IV 6.5-20 tactical setup
AR10 for mule deer
6.5-06 M700 for mule deer
338 Lapua Mag M700 for elk
Old 11-17-2012, 11:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82bluestang View Post
I have a ruger m77 sporter contour and it is 24" long with a 1-9 twist
It will be used for varmint and punching paper. Maybe a deer or 2 when I get comfortable with it. A couple of friends of mine shoot 600-1000 yds and was wanting to use this rifle to get started. I have a redding powder scale and a rcbs powder trickled a modified 243 case with an angled gauge. I still need to get a set of bushings to check my oal with a dial caliper.
Thanks Matt
OK, I had two 6mm's years back with that same basic barrel twist (one was a sporter weight). Neither barrel shot 70 grain bullets all that well, but shot the 80 grain Sierra Blitz extremely well. I didn't do a lot of work with 100 grain bullets in either gun, but used the 85 / 87 grain bullets a lot (Hornaday). Case volume between the 6mm and the .243 are fairly close, and the real difference between the two is in the neck and shoulder designs. This may help you and also give you a headache.

I highly recommend H414 powder with a mag primer this time of the year. Did use a little H4350 and AA4350, but results just were not there (but might still work for you). 4064 was the fastest in 80 grain bullets, but you also could fry eggs on the barrel. So in the .243 I wouldn't recommend it. Played around with AA2700, and results were very good. I also have done a lot of work with 6mm cases over the years (6BR, 6/250AI, and the 6mm and 6mmAI), and all seem to like the bullets seated about .003" to .005" off the lands. I saw my ES really tighten up doing this alone.

Ruger chamber necks are somewhat on the long side (like some others), and you might be surprised as to how much brass flow they will tolerate (mine were about .05" longer than the SAMMI spec). You'll eventually need a case trimmer, and I always recommend the Wilson (cheap on Ebay). The real problem you see out of the .243 in the Ruger is seating the bullets out to the lands. The neck is a little too short to really get the bullets out there when using the lighter ones. (Ruger also tends to cut their throats fairly long from what I've seen). I tried Berger 88's and 69's in my rifles, but they just didn't do what I wanted. The 88's shot .45" groups, but it seemed that about every fifth bullet would fail to stabalize. The 69's were too short. But the 80 grain Blitz would shoot .38" groups all day long, and often dipped into the .30" zone. Extremely hard on coyotes by the way. I've used that bullet all the way out to 450 yards without any problems, and would probably do 500 yards as well.

I didn't measure the actual twist rate of the Ruger barrels, but suspect they were closer to a 9.5 twist instead of a 9 twist. The H414 powder measures extremely well (I did fool around with H380 as well as H450). I would probably be looking at H1000 with a 100 grain bullet, as that stuff seems to be the ticket for the bigger cased 6mm's.
gary
Old 11-17-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82bluestang View Post
I have a ruger m77 sporter contour and it is 24" long with a 1-9 twist
It will be used for varmint and punching paper. Maybe a deer or 2 when I get comfortable with it. A couple of friends of mine shoot 600-1000 yds and was wanting to use this rifle to get started. I have a redding powder scale and a rcbs powder trickled a modified 243 case with an angled gauge. I still need to get a set of bushings to check my oal with a dial caliper.
Thanks Matt
Hi Matt, sounds like you are off to a good start.
Your twist rate will suit the heavier end of the scale so those proj should go well.
The thing with powders are that you may need to try a few before you get the right one. Powders work directly with the bullet weight you are intending, E.G. generaly speaking(also depends on barrel lenght!) faster powders work better with lighter proj & slower powders with heavier proj.
So Your rifle may like the H4350 with those weight proj but then again it might like Varget better. Its all about the testing!!
Its all about doing your case prep consistantly as well so you are removing all the variables so you can hone in on how that particular powder works with the harmonics of your rifle.
Anyway trying one powder at a time is the best way to go.
Sounds like you are using the Hornady OAL gauge, great bit of gear IMO. Just make sure you measure your OAL at least 5 times then add them together & divide by five to get the average then take the 5thou or 10 thou off that accordingly.
So some other gear that IMO is essential for case prep is-
Flash hole deburer.
Primer pocket reamer
VLD chamfering tool(if you go with the VDL'S) this helps seat easier & wont scratch the sides of the proj).
I have also bought the Hornady anvil & base for the calipers, it makes life so much easier when measuring!!
If you are neck sizing then Hornady headspace bushings as well.

Here is a link that may help you with the VLD'S-
Berger Tips for Loading VLD Bullets Daily Bulletin

Good luck & enjoy the ride.
Adrian.