Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

I need help reloading my 243. First time ever reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Bronze Member

I need help reloading my 243. First time ever reloading

I just bought a hornady ap press and .243 full length dies.
My friend told me to start with IMR 4350. I also have cci 200 primers and once shot hornady brass. I used box loads for break in because I wasn't set up yet.
I have 95 gr Berger vlds, hornady 87 gr hpbt, and 95gr smks.
Any starting g help would be great thank you.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member

Re: I need help reloading my 243. First time ever reloading

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82bluestang View Post
I just bought a hornady ap press and .243 full length dies.
My friend told me to start with IMR 4350. I also have cci 200 primers and once shot hornady brass. I used box loads for break in because I wasn't set up yet.
I have 95 gr Berger vlds, hornady 87 gr hpbt, and 95gr smks.
Any starting g help would be great thank you.
I'd kinda forget the VLD's for the moment as they can be trickey to work with. Just buy a box of 100 grain Hornaday SST's for starters or better yet the 87 grain Vmax for long range varmits. Then after you get your feet wet move over to the VLD's. The 4350 powder will work well with either bullet (you didn't say which brand as they are slightly different). Plus your seater may not work with the shape of the VLD bullet.
gary
Old 11-16-2012, 08:46 PM
Bronze Member

It's IMR and thanks
Old 11-16-2012, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member

the single thing tolearn about reloading is to learn to be very consistent with your loads. Everybody has their own methods just like I do. Avoid neck sizing as that's not gonna help you much, and try to keep it simple. I would recommend you buy the Hornaday lock & load gauge set with a .243 modified case. With this you can learn a lot about your chamber, and also get your seating depths down to what your rifle likes best. I'd also recommend you weigh each charge individually for starters (better off with 4350 anyway). CCI primers are pretty good, but I'm a real Federal fan. Before I forget about it, buy a tin of Imperial Die Sizing Wax, and forget about all the sprays and other case lubes. Just get a tiny little bit on your finger tips and spread it around the shoulder neck areas. If you don't think you have enough, you probably have too much!
gary
Old 11-16-2012, 10:31 PM
Platinum Member

You can go here online...http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp for some basic info such as MAX and MIN charge weights...OAL's etc.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:56 AM

Hi 82, well you havent given us much info to go on!
What rifle are you loading for, what lenght & contour is the barrel??
What is the twist rate??
What are your objectives, hunting loads, benchrest loads??
What other gauges/equipment/powder measuring gear do you have, how will you find out your OAL??
Do you have any reloading manuals & how much research have you done??

As tricky is saying consistancy is the key.
Work out what standard of case prep you are willing to go to & the steps involved.
My process for case prepping my hunting rounds are-
1. Decap primer
2. Uniform the primer pocket
3. Debur the flash hole
4. Ultra sonic clean.
5. Resize(I neck resize & only FL size if the case wont chamber)
6. Trim to minimum length(if needed, you need to measure after resizing & if they are under max then you can let it go if you choose)
7. Bevel & chamfer neck case mouth(if you are loading VLD's you will need another chamfering tool that has a different angle!!).
8. Seat primer
9. Charge(if testing go up in increments)
10. Seat projectile(normally I start load development with seating 10 thou of the lands & go from there after I find the right powder charge)

Everyones process tends to be different so you need to come up with your own!!
Do load development on a single projectile at one time so as not to over complicate things.
Follow load data charts & always work up loads from min towards the max looking for pressure signs as you go.
Safety is the biggest factor so check, double check, then triple check all your processes as you go.

Good luck mate.
Note: On VLD's- they are very finicky, working out how far off the lands to seat them is the tricky part as they can either like to be jammed into the lands or have a big jump!!
Old 11-17-2012, 09:25 AM
Bronze Member

I have a ruger m77 sporter contour and it is 24" long with a 1-9 twist
It will be used for varmint and punching paper. Maybe a deer or 2 when I get comfortable with it. A couple of friends of mine shoot 600-1000 yds and was wanting to use this rifle to get started. I have a redding powder scale and a rcbs powder trickled a modified 243 case with an angled gauge. I still need to get a set of bushings to check my oal with a dial caliper.
Thanks Matt