Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

I need help with reloading die selection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 01:39 AM
Gold Member

Re: I need help with reloading die selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
How often should I f/l size my cases I'm not going to shoot this brass in any rifle but my Sendaro
You will notice a few cases getting hard to chamber so then you resize the whole batch . I don't full length resize for any bolt action . I body size .
You are using a belted Magnum , that is different to using a low pressure beltless case . How quickly it will need resizing is hard to say but some magnums loaded to full ballistics can require resizing after a few shots or even after every shot . You will only know for sure after you run the gun with your loads .
Old 10-21-2012, 04:39 AM
Platinum Member

I have an arbor press and several sets of Wilson dies; they are very good. But I most often use the Redding Competition seater and Harrel F/L bushing die. The comp seater is IMO better than the Wilson, because the mic top can be adjusted by thousandths.

As pointed out the Wilson sizer is neck only and you will eventually need to F/L size .
Old 10-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Bronze Member

If you need a micrometer adj, Sinclair sells them for Wilson...

I would avoid full length resizing until it was required, but even in cases where one has to, I would then use my Wilson Full Length Seater

The Full Length Seater supports the whole assembly, bullet & case, and never introduces any run out!

In fact if I full length resize, and I have an inline seater, I will switch over to my arbor...

I'm not saying don't use full length resizing dies or "screw in" dies, I have sets from most mfg today and many historical ones...

Inline dies are used by more precision shooters than any other.

One more thought--if your fired cases are expanding more than about .001 just above the web, known as the pressure ring, then you most likely need to reduce the load for that rifle...

FUBAR,
Wounded Warrior Alumni
Old 10-21-2012, 12:30 PM
Bronze Member

I will definatly be getting the micro top along with the seating and the neck die from wilson I'm for shure going with the wilson they seem to be just as if not more accurate as any other they very portable and the cost less than the good comp redding dies if I have to get a screw type f/l die than I will but until then I'm in love with the Wilson's for the portability I can work up som loads at the range precharged of course seat them long and make adj's as I go and like u said a lot of precise shooters are using them I hope that ill be more than happy with them
Old 10-21-2012, 12:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm new to reloading and I'm wanting to buy some dies I've been looking at the wilson dies I have a arbor press already so these would be ideal in the fact that I can save some money buy not buying a foster , rcbs ect presses and the portability of the wilson die set up is awesome in my opinion . I will be loading the 7mm mag ill be reloading for hunting and target Shoting I guess my question is how good are the wilson died vs redding comp or dies should I save the money or spend the extra and get redding dies
Also what would be the pros and cons of the wilson dies and the other conventional dies
I use Wilson dies a lot, but there are a few things you need to remember about them.

* they don't full length size all that well (I don't even know if they still make a full length die anymore). But are at their best in neck sizing and bullet seating.

* You still have a generic sized die even if they do still make a full length die. So nothing gained here.

* If they don't do a full length die, thn you'll still need a regular press of somekind or another. Say a Lee cast iron press.

* accuracey wise, I find that the Wilson setup is about .0005" is better than the Forster dies (or Redding). To take this further, I find almost zero difference when I neck size and seat with a Forster seater in several different cartridges.

* I still find that a regular press and die does revolver rounds (44mag and 45 LC mostly) better.

* the Wilson seater works best with a small dedicated arbor press that will give you a certain feel as the bullet is seated. I use a K&M linked arbor press, and it's too light to even consider doing a full length resize operation

* the one really serious advantage the Wilson has over the others is when I reload at the range! Everything is small and compact.
gary
Old 10-21-2012, 12:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
How often should I f/l size my cases I'm not going to shoot this brass in any rifle but my Sendaro
Now I use my Wilson dies for much smaller cases than you will (mostly 222 and 250 case family). But I still like to run a body die over the case every four or five loadings.
gary
Old 10-21-2012, 12:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I have an arbor press and several sets of Wilson dies; they are very good. But I most often use the Redding Competition seater and Harrel F/L bushing die. The comp seater is IMO better than the Wilson, because the mic top can be adjusted by thousandths.

As pointed out the Wilson sizer is neck only and you will eventually need to F/L size .
Actually Gene there is a micrometer heat for the Wilsons, but I see little advantage with it. I simply use the shim pack kit to alter my seating depths. Some think the shims are better; I won't go there.

I use mostly Forster seaters, and my Forster press I can see about .0005" max difference using a Forster full length die. If I simply neck size off the Wilson/K&M I see little if any difference in calibers that range from .222 Remington to 6mm Remington.
gary