Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

I need help with pressure problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 05:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: I need help with pressure problems

His caseheads are slapping back to the boltface, taking an embossing of the boltface, and then maybe wiped a bit with bolt turn on extraction. I just can't see flow toward extractor in pic, and there shouldn't be with his loads.

You see the slight cratering about the firing pin indents. That is similar embossing action (but not due to HS). He could get Gre-Tan to bush the firing pin hole, fixing this. But it won't be a problem until loads get way hotter, producing piercing there.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
His caseheads are slapping back to the boltface, taking an embossing of the boltface, and then maybe wiped a bit with bolt turn on extraction. I just can't see flow toward extractor in pic, and there shouldn't be with his loads.

You see the slight cratering about the firing pin indents. That is similar embossing action (but not due to HS). He could get Gre-Tan to bush the firing pin hole, fixing this. But it won't be a problem until loads get way hotter, producing piercing there.
Thanks Mikecr
I said in my earlier post I understood the possible headspace isues just not sure with it being that with only .0006, but it was the "boltface, ejector " issues I was interested in and how they could cause signs like this. Headspace would be an easy fix for the OP so I hope thats the case.
Cheers
Old 05-10-2012, 07:12 AM
Platinum Member

He has OVER 6thou of HS. This is a lot, and bullets aren't jammed, nor false shoulder, to stop the rounds from moving so forward on firing, from where they will stretch backwards to the boltface. Someone earlier mentioned lube in the chamber, and this could also be a bad combination if there.

On the positive side, he doesn't have such a HS issue with THAT brass anymore. And with proper sizing and rational loads he can make it last forever. He can develop loads with it now that it better matches his chamber. Would have been a waste of time to do so before this point anyway.
Barrel broke in,, good cartridge & components. Time to get down to business