Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

I may of found where all of the primers went

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Silver Member

Re: I may of found where all of the primers went

Working on the reference for residential storage of primers/powders et al. IF this guy is a viable seller with a license to sell then awesome (and I will retract my statement for him), but you know as well as I do that a lot of people just buy the primers, store them in the basement and sell them online at auction for twice the price. I tried to call to see if he is a licensed dealer to no avail. Will try tomorrow.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

nheninge,
The ad is still listed on gunbroker for another 16 minutes, at which time the auction will be over. If it makes you FEEL any better, the seller got no bids at that price, and will have to probably lower his price and readvertise them.
Let the free market sytem work itself out. It does no good to start making statements about horse whipping , blacklisting business or making statements about illegal activities being conducted when we don't know the facts. Send me a PM and let me know what you are looking for, if I have what you need, I will be more than happy to try and help you out. I don't have much, but would be willing to help a fellow LRH. I see you are from MN, so we are not to far apart.
JIM
Old 05-25-2009, 08:49 PM
Silver Member

I've emailed him voicing my opinion. This is the last statement he has sent me.
By some of the earlier emails he has sent me I think I pissed him off.

"I recieved 1.5 million primers over a 3 week period. That happens because the manufacturers and distributors like me. I have sold over 2.5 million since november at 2.99 and 3.09 a box localy. That is the current local price, I have over 350 pounds of powder for sale localy at 15.99 to 21.99/lb. maybe you should move to Montana"
Old 05-25-2009, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

John_m44,
From the e-mail he sent you, it seems he is only selling locally, and not able to ship. However, I still feel this is a business of somekind for suppliers to be sending him that kind of quantity for resale. Would be interesting to get more imformation.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:03 PM
Silver Member

from what I see so far, the legality may reside with BATF, although I will substantiate tomorrow. It also appears to violate UFC (uniform fire code) for the NFPA. So, if your house burns down (with > 10,000 primers, powder limits exceeded etc), your insurance company likely will not pay for your house and if somebody dies in the fire...god help you
Old 05-25-2009, 09:56 PM
Silver Member

Here is a link to safe primer storage by SAAMI and the NFPA. Powder storage regs also available at same site. Even if this guy is commercial he is clearly violating improper storage regs

http://www.saami.org/Publications/201.pdf

More to follow
Old 05-25-2009, 10:09 PM
Gold Member

A few months ago I took a look at my storage system here in the house and contacted SAMMI. I ended up splitting my storage up between the 4 different outbuildings. Good thing I had a few inoperational freezers!

When I called SAMMI to order the storage documents, she said they'd send them no charge.