Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

I have a Reloading problem I need help to solve.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 06:39 PM
Platinum Member

Re: I have a Reloading problem I need help to solve.

the photo says it all. Your not able to size the last .200" above the belt with a conventional full length sizing die. Larry's die will take you all the way down to the bottom, but still do nothing to the neck and shoulders. Don't think you are alone with this issue, as most everybody shooting belted magnums gets to this point sooner or later. Many guys simply toss the cases and start all over when there's a simple solution.
gary
Old 05-31-2013, 08:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasent View Post
Have you checked the cases for head separation, or how far back your bumping the shoulders. If your bumping them back too far each time your brass has to stretch to fill your chamber as you fire the round. Causing it to thin at the cases walls. Have you measured the case length? Could be time to trim.
Just a few things to check
This is what I suspect.
I doubt tall has his headpsace dialed and is beating the crap out of the brass every time he pulls the trigger.

Tall,
I would like to see a few pictures of the cases. The head, lower base section, neck/shoulder area.
What load are you running?

Annealing will never difficult chambering ...This is absolutely not the problem.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Have you checked the cases for head separation, or how far back your bumping the shoulders. If your bumping them back too far each time your brass has to stretch to fill your chamber as you fire the round. Causing it to thin at the cases walls. Have you measured the case length? Could be time to trim.
Quote:
This is what I suspect.
I doubt tall has his headpsace dialed and is beating the crap out of the brass every time he pulls the trigger.

Tall,
I would like to see a few pictures of the cases. The head, lower base section, neck/shoulder area.
What load are you running?

Annealing will never create difficult chambering ...This is absolutely not the problem.

I have been reloading belted magnum cartridges for almost 40 years and have never had a problem with extraction or feeding. I bought the base collet die from Larry when My bud developed an issue with his rifle. His problem was a rough spot in the chamber of the barrel. A quick trip to the gunsmith and some polishing solved the problem...might be yours too come to think of it!
Old 06-01-2013, 12:54 PM
Platinum Member

maybe you didn't have the problem, but there are at least fifty folks out there that have this problem, and many solved it with Larry's die. I had it with my 270mag and even my .450 marlin. No rough spots and the dies fixed the problem. An easy way to check this is to buy a needle bearing inner race from a ball bearing supply house in 13mm I.D. slide it over the case and see where it stops. Your total outlay will be very little and you now have an honest no-go gauge
gary
Old 06-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Silver Member

my favorite rifle is a 7mm rem mag. This is how I do it

every first, second, third and fourth size is a neck size then gator the primer pocket then trim and tumble clean. Every 5th load I deprime aneal, gator, FL size, trim then tumble.
My seating is to the lands -.001" I have noticed that when I go to a new box of pills the seating depth may need a minor adjustment.
Always I use federal brass (personal prefferance)
Old 06-01-2013, 06:11 PM

Read again what "trickymissfit" said about Larry willis "Innovative Technology" Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die. One die, one step, loaded or unloaded and they will just drop in like brand new brass. Done it often
Old 06-02-2013, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
Read again what "trickymissfit" said about Larry willis "Innovative Technology" Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die. One die, one step, loaded or unloaded and they will just drop in like brand new brass. Done it often
plus Larry is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. He'll coach you along the way, and is always there to help you down the road. I'll always put him right in there with Ferris and Fred Sinclair as he just that good of a guy.
gary