Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

I have a Reloading problem I need help to solve.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 11:49 AM
Bronze Member

I have a Reloading problem I need help to solve.

I have a few reloading questions if somebody has some answers or theory.

I am reloading for 7mm rem mag. My gun is a Weatherby Vangaurd. It shoots really well. I had a 5 to 6 inch group at 1,000 yards. The Problem I have is some of my brass are super tight and hard to close my bolt. On a few I have to really use some force to close the bolt. I use an RCBS re sizer and bullet seater die set. Nothing fancy. It is possible that a few brass was shot in a remington gun.

Question

#1 Am I missing a step or doing something wrong in the resizing process?

#2 I inspect all my brass and have had a few i have had to toss due to stress fractures in the neck of the brass. Could my brass be getting to old?

#3 Is there a difference in quality between brass shells and nickle shells? I am thinking about buying new brass.

#4 is there anything I can do to keep my brass shinning and looking nice, such as applying wax or a product and polish it?
Old 05-31-2013, 12:06 PM
Silver Member

Re: I have a Reloading problem I need help to solve.

#1. You would have to give us a step by step of your reloading process
#2 sounds like you need to aneal your brass. Your brass has become work hardened and has too much spring back.
#3 I would not mix head stamp/brands of brass
#4 there are a number of ways, tumbling,vibratory cleaners,I polish with flitz brass polish.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

you need one of Larry Willis's Innovative Technology sizing dies to get the case sized all the way down to the belt
gary
Old 05-31-2013, 12:27 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasent View Post
#1. You would have to give us a step by step of your reloading process
#2 sounds like you need to aneal your brass. Your brass has become work hardened and has too much spring back.
#3 I would not mix head stamp/brands of brass
#4 there are a number of ways, tumbling,vibratory cleaners,I polish with flitz brass polish.
My first step is to set up my die. I screw down until it touches the shell holder, then I release the leaver and screw down the die another 1/4 turn. I then tighten the nut and raise the shell holder to check it feels right.

I then lube the casings and a inside of the neck. I wipe off any oil on the outside of the neck so I don't get accidental casing indents from hydrolic pressure. I slowly re size the casing going threw the entire motion of the handle.

I then wash all my brass with a mild dish soap and toss them in the tumbler. After tumbling I use a primer pocket cleaner and clean any burnt powder and make sure primer pocket is clear of any Media.

I use my caliper to check the OAL of the casings and trim if needed. I use a deburing tool on each brass.

I then insert primers into the primer pockets.

I charge each case with an exact measure of powder. I then seat the bullet were it is touching the lans or maybe .001 shy of the lans. I have double checked and I know that my problem is not the bullet hitting the lans, I have tried a shorter COAL and it makes no difference.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:42 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
you need one of Larry Willis's Innovative Technology sizing dies to get the case sized all the way down to the belt
gary
Bingo

The inside dimensions of your sizing die are not small enough to resize your case body, especially down to the belt and your brass is binding in your chamber

OR your die is still not pushing the shoulder back, even though you have threaded it down an additional 1/4 turn past contact with shell holder. I have had dies that would not reach the shoulder and the answer is to take a shell holder and take some off the top. You can also take a little off the bottom of the die. Make sure to get it square with either method
Old 05-31-2013, 12:53 PM
Silver Member

I dont think it's your die because you said some of your cases not all. I believe you need to aneal the cases

Last edited by jasent; 05-31-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:01 PM
Silver Member

Have you checked the cases for head separation, or how far back your bumping the shoulders. If your bumping them back too far each time your brass has to stretch to fill your chamber as you fire the round. Causing it to thin at the cases walls. Have you measured the case length? Could be time to trim.
Just a few things to check