Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

I have a problem...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 01:34 PM
Bronze Member

Re: I have a problem...

Thanks to all for the feedback. Imperial wax and RCBS Stuck Case Remover have officially been added to the shopping list. Now if I can just save this die...

As for the aforementioned homemade lube, punxsutawn, it is lanolin and alcohol. I'm wondering if the mixture was wrong, if it set too long, or what went wrong. Either way I will not be using this particular bottle again.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:43 PM
Silver Member

I made my own stuck case removal tools a few years ago and can vouch for needing one. Everyone will or has had a stuck case. If you reload enough it's almost a given.

Punxsutawn; Where are you from?
Old 07-23-2013, 05:09 PM
Platinum Member

Always amazing to hear praise on wax for sizing.
I had stuck cases with Imperial sizing wax, that was in part resolved with RCBS case lube.

Guess my interference fitting monster was worse than normal. Ripped off rims, knocked the casehead clean off trying to drive one out, and finally had to send die off to maker for case removal. He suggested I toss the die off a bridge. Problem was it was a very expensive Tubbs die for 6XC.. And the cases sized were fresh from a Tubb T2K!
Anyway, toss the die, get real case lube, and another or better yet custom die.
JLC Precision is very reasonable on custom fitted dies, so are most factory die makers.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:25 PM
Silver Member

One of the reasons I quit reloading was how nasty RCBS case lube is. Recently I have started reloading again. I found these two homemade recipes on the web. I have done 100 300 RUM cases so far and I really like this stuff.
Case Lube----1oz liquid Lanolin and 12 oz of Isopropyl Alcohol
Case cleaner ----- hot water 2 quarts, Vinegar 2 cups, dish soap 2 tablespoons, and salt 2 tablespoons(cut in half and add stainless media if you like) add to your tumbler
I tumbled these for 5 hours without the ss. They look pretty darn good.
I t
Old 01-04-2015, 01:18 AM
Silver Member

What Shell Case do you have stuck? A stuck 22-250 or 264 win mag. The punch you have to use is so small it can tear its way through the primer pocket. A case in the 30 cal.or larger allows bigger punch use. Here is my mountain mechanic cure. Remove the die from press. Clamp die in Drill Press Vice or vice with padded jaws. Drill the primer hole out with a NUMBER 3 numbered drill. Tap the hole with a 1/4-28 tap. Go through your tool box and fit a socket wrench over the shell case. Put a couple washers on the drive end of the socket and a 1/4 -28 Allen head or class 8 bolt down and into the threaded case head. Tighten the bolt pull the case out. Used this since about 1967. Looking at todays case removal kits, the same principal. Good Luck
Old 01-04-2015, 06:31 AM
Platinum Member

How to remove a stuck case showed up on Accurate shooter today:

Daily Bulletin
Old 01-04-2015, 08:35 AM
Gold Member

There are two kinds of reloaders, the ones that have had a stuck case and the ones that are going to get one. Get the Imperial and a stuck case remover. Some reloader tumble twice, once before sizing and once after all case prep is done. Good luck