Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

i am feeling lucky to be alive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

YUP:mad: But my 270Am is now on deck. Luckily I am not having a rifle shortage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
Was that your "backup" Oryx rifle?
Old 08-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Gold Member

Your rifle and homeowners insurance..

eddybo,
I know of an individual that had this happen, using the wrong powder in his rifle. It was 7mm also. He had Allstate homeowners insurance. Just like the guy that cut down the tree and crashed his roof in, they covered him for a brand new rifle since he had 100% replacement and his rifles were insured for the standard 10k per policy unless you get a higher value rider.
They had to make a ruling from Boston, Ma. home office, said they never had a claim like this..people usually don't survive. Explosion- covered under policy, rifle insured under policy - yes, 100% replacement cost. Stupidity - that what insurance is all about. The 8.5x25x50LRT was replaced also. The guy is lucky to be alive and he had used 4227 and it was Weatherby Mark-V Accumark too. The bolt held but the half of the face, extractor and 2 lugs were gone, blew all out the bottom and some topside which took out the scope.
Maybe you are covered too. Doesn't hurt to check, your in the same boat if they say no. Good luck!!
Old 08-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

Freebore,

Thanks for the good info. Luckily mine wasnt a complete loss. I have collectors insurance that would probably cover it, but think I am going to take the loss as a hard lesson learned.
I wouldn't have told a soul about it except that I thought that it may keep spmepne from making the same stupid mistake. We all need reminders to use our common sense. Unluckily I was the example this time, luckily all I lost was a barrel. Besides I have a few buddies who visit this site who would have spilled the beans anyway.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Silver Member

Happens to the best of us

I dumped a full tube from my powder measurer not to long ago. I had 5 different powders on the bench. I got interrupted - went back to the bench and because I could not %100 - no doubt in my mind remember what powder I had put in I decided to just pitch it. NOW I only have the powder on the bench I am working with. All the others are out of sight in the cabinet.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Platinum Member

The one powder on the bench rule has been followed in my reloading room forever. The problem I had was that I switched gallon jugs that were inconspicously labled and forgot I switched them. There was only one powder on the bench problem was that it was the wrong one:mad: My biggest error was getting in a hurry and becoming complacent and relying on my faulty memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstrick View Post
I dumped a full tube from my powder measurer not to long ago. I had 5 different powders on the bench. I got interrupted - went back to the bench and because I could not %100 - no doubt in my mind remember what powder I had put in I decided to just pitch it. NOW I only have the powder on the bench I am working with. All the others are out of sight in the cabinet.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Gold Member

Rules of Handloading

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddybo View Post
The one powder on the bench rule has been followed in my reloading room forever. My biggest error was getting in a hurry and becoming complacent and relying on my faulty memory.
Ditto on the 'one powder on the bench forever 'rule! I forget the memory part.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for being honest and sharing Eddybo. Experiences like this are a valuable lesson to all of us.