Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Hunting bullet suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Hunting bullet suggestions

The sierra 140's may be a good choice too, but I'd at least try the nosler. I use both sierra and nosler 140's in my 7mm's and not much else.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:34 PM
Gold Member

I have used used the Hornady 139 BTSP in my model 7 saum, but think I will try the 150 Swift Sirrocco this yr as it shoots well in another 7 saum I have
Old 03-30-2013, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member

I would gladly load single shot with a larger more accurate bullet for hunting. Wait, I already do. I may be breaking the fast 7 trend but I like to hit them hard. A light bullet loaded at very high velocities is a candidate for the next " My bullet disintegrated on the shoulder of a deer" thread. Or a twig in the path.

Jeff
Old 03-30-2013, 04:53 PM
Platinum Member

For my Magnum 7mm calibers the 160 Nosler Accubond is my go-to, and has been for years. And the 110gr Accubond is my go-to for my .257 Wby Mag.

However, this year I will trying Berger VLD's in my hunting calibers.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:10 PM
Bronze Member

I did think about going the single shot route but it felt like a.bad idea. However now that I think about it I haven't needed more than 1 bullet in a long time. I would like to stay with a 160-168 high bc bullet as I may have an elk tag too. Max range will be about 550yds. I will try the accubonds and Berger classics to see if I can get good groups out of a mag length round. If not I will go single shot. I will try different powder too. I have been using IMR 4350 but may try.IMR 7828 too
Old 03-30-2013, 09:45 PM
Silver Member

Pills,

I have had very good luck with the heavier bullets using IMR-7828 in my 7mm SAUM. The 168 Berger load at 59.0 grains of IMR-7828 was just for accuracy at targets and not my hunting load. My velocity for that load was around 2750 ft/sec.. However the 160 TSX load is a good hunting load that I loaded to take elk hunting a few years ago-no elk but the load is good. I am able to get 2950 ft/sec with this bullet, using IMR-7828, RP cases, WLRM primers. The 2.270 listed as COL is measured off the ogive, the actual over all length of the loaded round is 2.86.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Hunting bullet suggestions-mvc-003s.jpg   Hunting bullet suggestions-mvc-008f.jpg  

Old 03-30-2013, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pills View Post
I did think about going the single shot route but it felt like a.bad idea. However now that I think about it I haven't needed more than 1 bullet in a long time. I would like to stay with a 160-168 high bc bullet as I may have an elk tag too. Max range will be about 550yds. I will try the accubonds and Berger classics to see if I can get good groups out of a mag length round. If not I will go single shot. I will try different powder too. I have been using IMR 4350 but may try.IMR 7828 too
I shoot single-shot at the range, but my hunting loads are set to magazine-length in my A-Bolt II, so I can have more in the chamber while hunting. They work great for me.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.