Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

hrndy vmax comming apart?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 01:24 PM
Platinum Member

Re: hrndy vmax comming apart?

scope fine, tight and installed correctly. Crown fine, brass fully prepped and trimmed, powder charge was correct,

but the bore does have lots of tool "chatter" as you call it. The bore looked terrible from new and only has about 700 rds through it and has never gotten too hot.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:29 PM
Platinum Member

Nice post Fitch. you did a Much better job of explaining than I did.

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 02-07-2010, 01:42 AM
Platinum Member

I went to the range again today and the 39.5 g load was holding about a 1' (foot) pattern at 200. backed off half a gran and I got a 2" 5 shot group.

I scrubbed the bore w/ jb bore bright until the patch was wore out litterally. Man... I've never seen a barrel that looked worse in my life! I see machine marks all over the thing. I was really supprised when I did a latter test using 50 grain noslers as well. I am going to try the 40 hornady's again w/ 39.0 grain again to duplicate it. And I was starting to get a little more steady towards the end of my shooting lol!

I was a little suprised that my Redding comp seating die was leaving a ring on the bullets. I pulled it apart and cleaned it but it still leaves a ring on the bullets. Anyone else notice their dies doing this?

thanks for reading,
Mark.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:05 AM
Silver Member

Aside from reloading issues, a client brought a Savage rifle to me in 2008, shooting 14-18" groups at 100 yards. The rifle was bedded and the fore-end reinforced which brought groups down to .75" with the same ammo initially used. One of the major causes of the excessive spread was the pillars in the stock as fitted at the factory. The pillars were proud and creating more than the normal share of fit problems (synthetic stock).

Your sandbag versus bipod shooting sounds like it may be inicative of bedding problems. I would never shoot an unbedded rifle and expect good results but thats just me. Other guys like to try the rifle first and it it shoots OK, leave it as is. The problem with this is that each time the rifle is assembled and reassembled, the slight differences in screw tension cause unexpected problems. With wood stocked rifles, moisture and oil also cause unexpected problems later on.

Good luck with it all.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the insight. I do think I will bed the rifle, but I'm leaning towards doing it myself. I am curious about the steps one should take to ensure the bedding doesn't adhere to the action. I am considering using industrial epoxy since we have it for work (imbedding rebar into concrete) but I am also curious if this is a bad idea. I just don't like the idea of sticking much $$ into a rifle like this.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:27 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britz View Post
Thanks for the insight. I do think I will bed the rifle, but I'm leaning towards doing it myself. I am curious about the steps one should take to ensure the bedding doesn't adhere to the action. I am considering using industrial epoxy since we have it for work (imbedding rebar into concrete) but I am also curious if this is a bad idea. I just don't like the idea of sticking much $$ into a rifle like this.
You might check out Darrel Holland's DVD on bedding. There are others out there (Richard Franklin also has one out) but Holland's is the one I watched.

Google rifle bedding and you will find a bunch of good informaiton.

Fitch
Old 02-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Silver Member

You can try the bedding compound instructions from my website too. The instructions are fairly generic regardless of what compound you are using.
Terminal Ballistics Research Ltd