Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

How Stupid is this idea for fire forming?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Bronze Member

How Stupid is this idea for fire forming?

Ok, so I have several boxes of .280 Remington ammo sitting here. I already learned that they can not just be fed through my .280 Ackley because when fired the primers lift up, and the brass grows at the wrong place causing case head separation on the next firing. I could remove the bullets, dump the powder, remove the primer and load them all up in a way that the bullet is jammed into the lands so when I fire form the case will be held in place by the bullet and I will not get head separation.

Now, here is the part that I think might be stupid. What if I take my inertia bullet puller to the range and give each factory round enough whacks so that the bullet will be jammed, and then fire them? They are 140 Grain Core-Lokt from Remington. This would save me a whole bunch of time. Basically, do you think that the factory Remington stuff is too hot to jam into the lands? I don't have a die that I could resize the necks with without also removing the primer and by the time I do that I'd be better off finding someone with a .280 and giving them the loaded stuff and just buying some bulk brass. This is my dilemma.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Silver Member

Re: How Stupid is this idea for fire forming?

No don't do that. The reason is factory ammo is loaded to the max. A over pressure will occur. Bad things happen with this. The bullets in question are not made to go into the lands. Buy some bulk brass. It will be safer.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member

You won't be firing those "extended" factory rounds in a standard chamber, the extra room in the AI chamber should easily make it safe enough.

But, I would feel better if you tried squeezing the bodies with pliers to make them egg shaped enough to make chambering difficult and see if that wouldn't hold the cartridges back enough to let you fire them normally. Maybe do at least a couple that way and see how it goes before you jam the rifling? (The cases WILL be reformed to fit the chamber afterwards so the deforming won't matter.)
Old 10-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

I wonder if Remington ammo brass is even worth reloading. Some of the stuff I seen once looked to be disposable.
Almost as bad as that green Chinese crap laying all over my range...

Not to be hard on that ammo in particular, but seriously, some factory loaded brass is not at all like their 'reloading brass'. An example is Winchester WSSM. Their reloading brass is awesome. But I would not attempt to reload their wssm ammo (all cracked up).
Old 10-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Gold Member

I don't get it. I never had any issues fireforming 280 factory ammo in my 280ai. What's the issue?
Old 10-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

He described a headspace issue.
The case heads are not reaching the boltface without a stretch just forward of the webs, because the case is expanding and grabbing the chamber walls beforehand. With this, the primers slam back to the boltface, nearly leaving their pockets.

Normally the caseheads are within a few thou of the boltface. The reach is small enough that little to no thinning occurs near the webs, and headspace is even better reduced.
He wishes to jam the bullets to force the caseheads back to the boltface before firing.

If you don't have the same issue, then it's likely your ammo is different, or your chamber, or your chamber is loaded up with oil(a dangerous condition).
Old 10-13-2010, 08:08 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopeshunter View Post
I don't get it. I never had any issues fireforming 280 factory ammo in my 280ai. What's the issue?

They set his headspace wrong here how it should be done
http://www.mansonreamers.com/Instruc...y%20Gaging.pdf

I've got 2 chambered 280AI and I can fire factory brass in mine with no problems just like yours I've also got some Nolser 280AI brass.

One problem with AI not set up right you can never FL size the case and depending on how much excessive headspace there is you may only get acouple firing anyway before the case head separates. If it was me I'd take the rifle back and have it done right or find another gunsmith.