Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

How stiff is too stif closing bolt on jammed bullets?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 08:04 PM
Silver Member

How stiff is too stif closing bolt on jammed bullets?

Guys I have a gun that is in the same chambering as another gun I have, I wanted to see if I could use the same dies and I built up a load. It just happens that the best load is the same as my other gun but the seating depth jam is a bit more as I guess one reamer is a bit different than the other. The bolt will close on the new gun but it does take some pressure to do so the jam is prob .015-.02 A opposed to .005 on my other gun.
Anyway my question is how much presure is too much when closing a bolt? I can do it with one hand but I do need to sort of pinch it down if it were a repeater it wouldn't be easy to run a fast string. Can this cause damage to the lugs if there is pressure but it's not crazy? If the load shoots great should I leave it or seat the bullets deeper to avoid this. Assuming no presure after shooting can I be damaging the lugs closing it a bit tight? Any thresholds for how tight is too tight? Thanks in advance.
Don
Old 04-15-2012, 10:05 PM
Gold Member

Re: How stiff is too stif closing bolt on jammed bullets?

Are you sure it's the bullet causing the issue and not the brass?
Old 04-16-2012, 04:35 AM
Platinum Member

How do you measure jam? Jamming .015 - .020" should not cause hard bolt closure. I agree, its in the brass. Try F/L or small base sizing.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:36 AM
Silver Member

Did you try to run an empty resized brass in there first ? Just to make sure its the bullet. If you jam the bullet in the rifling .005 -.010 thou. it should be good ,but you should be able to close the bolt with little resistance. If you cant then your neck tension is extremely tight or the case is larger than the chamber.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:07 PM
Platinum Member

"...but the seating depth jam is a bit more as I guess one reamer is a bit different than the other."

Think so? ... who woulda thought that?

Maybe it would be good to custom fit the ammo for each rifle.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:48 PM
Gold Member

as long as you grease the lugs you should not hurt them. Is this the same brass from the other gun or seperate brass for each rifle as it should be
Old 04-16-2012, 06:13 PM
Silver Member

thansk guys its not the brass its dedicated brass to this rifle fl sized that chambers with no problem before i load the bullets