Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

How start working up load?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 09:24 AM
Silver Member

How start working up load?

Hello all,

I have been reloading for about one year and have had some success and some frustrations. Generally, I load 270, 300WSM, 7MM Mag and now 7mm-08.

I have generally started with factory seating depth and two powders with different bullets. I think that my method is not effective. I am now thinking pick the bullet I want, start low at .5 grain increments until I find the best shooter. Then play with depth. My range is 45 minutes away so I need to find a better use my time.

How do some start from scratch with a round development.

N
Old 10-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: How start working up load?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonShooter View Post
Hello all,

I have been reloading for about one year and have had some success and some frustrations. Generally, I load 270, 300WSM, 7MM Mag and now 7mm-08.

I have generally started with factory seating depth and two powders with different bullets. I think that my method is not effective. I am now thinking pick the bullet I want, start low at .5 grain increments until I find the best shooter. Then play with depth. My range is 45 minutes away so I need to find a better use my time.

How do some start from scratch with a round development.

N
My range is also 40 min away so I know how that goes. Do you have a basement.... are you married? I have thought about about building a steel shooting trap filled with sand and doing the pressure testing shooting in it.

Yup, pick your bullet and work up. I start with bullet seated close to the lands, that way if I play with seating depth away from the lands, pressure will not spike on me.

There's a lot of ways to skin a cat and I like playing with seating depth first starting at max load and working down to get the max accurate performance I can.

For .06 variant cartridges and larger, i usually work up 1 gr at a time. For smaller cartridges, I usually work up .5 gr at a time.

Just my techniques

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 10-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Gold Member

Montana Rifleman

Why do you experiment with seating depth first?
Old 10-03-2013, 03:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bushman View Post
Montana Rifleman

Why do you experiment with seating depth first?
If for example, my max load was 98 gr of XX powder and accuracy wasn't quite what I was looking for, I would experiment with seating depth at the max load to maintain the max velocity if possible. then i would drop a gr at a time and experiment with depth at each of those increments.

The most common way to do it is to find the velocity accuracy node first, but I figure if I can find accuracy at max by seating depth, that's a better way to get the most velocity with accuracy.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 10-03-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:11 PM
Gold Member

Thats interesting. It sounds like it could cost a few more bullets, but a perspective i never considered.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member

I do seating first, during fire forming of new cases, with an upper load(not max).
If well enough at 200yds to tell, I adjust my firing pin to be sure I'm getting best striking, with second fire-forming. I also determine MyMax load here with cases I intend to cull anyway.
When fully fireformed(stable in capacity), I incremental load develop up to MyMax with seating that seemed best(a 300yd ladder). Then a fine/final tweak of seating and neck tension with best node for group shaping.

Then I go back to 200yds and begin cold bore testing/tweaking, which seems a forever endeavor.
For some reason, 200yds is my nemesis. When I get true 1/2moa cold bore accuracy there, I got every range covered.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:07 PM
Gold Member

Mike

That sounds like a pretty sound procedure.
I think ill copy youre process when i change loads.