Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

How to start reloading.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Gold Member

Re: How to start reloading.

One thing nobody has mentioned yet is that you'll eventually need a tumbler. I'd get one large enough rather than get a small one and buy another larger one. I did without something to get the tumbling media out of the cases for a year and finally broke down and bought a large dillon media separator. I don't regret that purchase at all. You will need some reloading blocks as well, they hold the cases while you go thru the reloading steps.

I think my best reloading purchase was the Chargemaster combo.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:33 AM
Silver Member

Check out MidSouth if you're going to buy reloading books; you can get them at a discount over what you'll pay in local bookstores.

Reloading blocks are available from Sinclair and Midway (their brand is also available elsewhere (like LS&B) in custom configurations. Order the Sinclair catalog for future reference. Free from their website. If you're accuracy oriented, you'll be interested in some of their stuff.

Other good web sources are Lock, Stock & Barrel and MidSouth Shooters Supply. LS&B's website is a little screwed up these days (lousy consultants); you may want to order a catalog. Everyones prices are going up these days, so you need to rely on the websites rather than the catalogs.

I really like Redding as a primary source on most equipment. Whatever they offer is well made. That doesn't mean that you should ignore other equipment if it can do a better job for you. I've recommended the Ohaus scales, but Redding's is also well thought of. Forster also makes some very good stuff.

Your primary job is to learn enough to anticipate your needs and to make educated choices. Feel free to ask questions.

Lee makes a couple of good designs, but all of their stuff is cost-compromised; consider it a trade-off. RCBS ain't what it used to be; OK if you're buying used, although their priming tools are worth looking into.

Your job for now is to read and ask questions; buying decisions come later.

Last edited by Winchester 69; 06-05-2009 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Modified sources
Old 06-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Bronze Member

Good advice for starting out.

You'll probably find that loading for the pistols is a different game than the rifles. GENERALLY you don't need to be nearly as precise. You still have to be careful, just not as picky.

If you do pistol competition (IDPA, USPSA, SASS) or even if you do rifle competition (i.e. Fclass or hi-power0 you may feel the need for a progressive. Check out Dillon (Dillon Precision: Reloaders, Reloading Equipment, Bullet Reloading, Bullet Reloaders).

Some may feel it is much harder (or impossible) to make quality ammo on a progressive, but I know about 1500 Prairie Dogs, and a few hi-power x rings that think the 223 and 22-250 I make on my Dillon are plenty accurate enough.

Get a good turret type press so that you are not changing dies every 5 minutes. When you are starting out or piddling with a load, you will make small batches, which means you'll be changing dies. I use the Redding T-7, and love it. I sprang for an extra head, so now I can leave the dies for 4 cartridges set up. Just love it.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Silver Member

When I buy reloading equp. it will be Dillon. I am a tool man. I would like to move through the all the tasks as easy as posable. I am not looking for the cheap way out. I just want it to be right, and safely done. I was watching some clips on you tube. they showed the 550B press? and it looked like once you find the right load and spaceing you can leave these dies in place for that cal. from what I saw the plates were about $15ea. so once you get that round set leave it alone and use the next set of dies on a new plate. I am waiting for a Dillon catolog in the mail. I seems like each cal. cost about $130 or so to set up. sounds like fun.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maylor View Post
When I buy reloading equp. it will be Dillon. I am a tool man. I would like to move through the all the tasks as easy as posable. I am not looking for the cheap way out. I just want it to be right, and safely done. I was watching some clips on you tube. they showed the 550B press? and it looked like once you find the right load and spaceing you can leave these dies in place for that cal. from what I saw the plates were about $15ea. so once you get that round set leave it alone and use the next set of dies on a new plate. I am waiting for a Dillon catolog in the mail. I seems like each cal. cost about $130 or so to set up. sounds like fun.
Works pretty good for the lighter calibers (that don't require much in the resizing department). I have a 650 that I use for all my high volume pistol stuff (38, 357, 9mm, 40SW etc). I'll use it for 223 when I get one of those. But for all my real 'rifle' type cartridges (243 Win up through 338AM), I use a single stage.

The Dillon progressives are great, but aren't designed (in my opinion) for serious resizing duties.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 06-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Silver Member

IME, you haven't given adequate consideration to the compromise with rifle powders and mechanical powder measures. That and the need for case prep after sizing can influence the efficacy in using a progressive.

You're approaching your buying decisions with limited information. Consider that you're developing a process, not buying equipment. You have to determine the results you want to achieve at each step and how they can be attained. It's a bigger job than it seems. Study up on brass preparation and powder dispensing, especially consistency. Your perspective will change.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:06 PM
Silver Member

Well guys I have not baught anything yet. So ya'll think a single stage press works better for rifle rounds because you spend more time with each round? Looking, measureing, weighting,ect. More hands on makes for a better round. Next Q is a electrical scale better then a beam scale? And I do understand what ya'll are saying, so I need to give this some more thought.. Bill Maylor.