Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

How to start reloading.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Silver Member

How to start reloading.

I would like to start reloading. Would I be better off with a starter kit or buy select equpt. I want to load for these cal. 300RUM, 7MM, 270, 308, 257WBY,22-250, and a few pistol cals like 45ACP, 357, 38, 40, 380. My hunting buddy and I want to do this togather. I would rather buy right the first time. I learned this lesson with my optics. So I am asking where do I start? Any info will help. Thank you, Bill Maylor.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:12 AM
Platinum Member

Re: How to start reloading.

Hi Bill-

Look down near the bottom of this page. There's a good bit of reading. You need to start somewhere. After you get started (just like anything else) you'll want to get some different and more specialized items. However I'd get started and then see what you wants and needs become. Lyman makes a good value starter kit with an electronic scale and case trimmer for around $300 when it's on sale at the usual suspects (midway, Natchez, midsouth, etc.). Most of the starter kits don't include a case trimmer.

Reloading, equipment, loads, brass, bullets etc.

Last edited by jmason; 06-04-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Silver Member

I was in your situation just a few months ago. I wound up ordering the RCBS starter kit, and then the basic RCBS dies, Forster trimmer, and electronic caliper. I kept it simple and only started with doing the 308 and 223 to start with. RCBS makes an upgraded kit with the electronic scales/powder dispenser. I went the simple route because I want to learn how to do it properly the first time.....that and its cheaper :P It takes longer to do the loading, but now that I finally got the components in I have made my first batch of bullets and will be going to the range this weekend to try them out. It is time consuming, and there are other equipment that will make it quicker and easier but not necessarily as accurate (or so I've read, please don't lynch me lol). Then again, that is how I am I would rather learn the hard way. I would start with one or two cartridges and then ensure that this is something that you want to do for all of your cartridges. If you buy for ALL your calibers it will be very expensive to start off with. I just started and have only made one batch of ammo to find my rifles sweet spot so I am still in the hole money wise, maybe one day it will finally pay off! Once again, I went with RCBS based off of talking with the few people I know that reload, I'm sure there will be a million different responses to which one people like/dislike. It's like asking which is better ford/chevy/toyota, each answer will depend on the person. I've had no issues with the RCBS, but once again I'm new and haven't tried anything else yet. Oh yeah, make sure you buy a good reloading manual (I have the Speer, Sierra, and Hornady since that's what I'm shooting and the Speer came with the kit), and I also bought the abc's of reloading book that has also helped tremendously. I read all of them several times as far as the process of actual reloading and tips several times before I attempted it. Waiting on the powder/bullets gave me lots of time to educate myself before trying.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Silver Member

You need to start by reading some reloading manuals. The Lyman book is highly recommended, as are the Hornady and Speer. If you shoot a particular brand of bullet, be sure and acquire that company's manual. DVD's and higher level books are available. If you do not have a general knowledge of the types of equipment available, "The ABC's of Reloading" will give a broad overview.

The following is a basic list of the better equipment:

Redding Big Boss, T-7 turret, or Forster Co-Ax press - your choice
Redding and/or Forster dies, Hornady lock rings
RCBS ChargeMaster Combo powder measure/scale
Wilson trimmer
RCBS Universal or Lee AutoPrime hand-held priming tool
Lee primer pocket cleaner or Sinclair primer-pocket uniformer
VLD inside chamfering tool
Dial caliper - cheap
Imperial sizing wax
Sinclair has good accessories and gauges - get a catalog

A good beam scale (RCBS 502, 505, 10-10) and trickler (Redding) with a set of Lee dippers will serve in lieu of of the Chargemaster Combo if you wish to hold off on that investment. A mechanical powder measure is not recommended for extruded rifle powders.

If you eventually decide to go progressive for handgun loading, look at the Hornady AP. It has an excellent powder measure.

Research your individual equipment choices; there's a lot of info in forum threads.

Last edited by Winchester 69; 06-04-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Guy's, I have been reading on this site and have learned just enought to get my self in blowen up. I will continue to read more at this site, and go buy the book on the ABC'S. Thanks for the list Winchester 69. This looks like something you dont just jump into. Bill Maylor.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Silver Member

I was looking around earlier for a recent post of mine that had a lot of information for you. I was looking on AccurateReloading and SnipersHide, and copied the short list from one of my posts there. Turns out the dissertation I was looking for is nathank's below, just like jmason said.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Silver Member

Winchester69, Thanks for the list... I did copy it and will start pricing. I am going to the local book shop to find the ABC's book you are talking about. I am sure I will be asking more Q's. here shortley. Bill Maylor.